Asterina stars good or bad? Your Opinion.

cjilge

I have noticed them lately, and have heard good and bad things. Are Harley's the only preditor?

apparently there are multiple kinds of these. I view them all as pests since I can't tell them apart. I have witnessed them eat my zoas., and they were expensive ones too.

In Paul's talk, he said that if you can't support a harlequin, and you want them out, then you would have to manually remove them. I do like his idea of stabbing them with the needle like a clean up crew picking up trash.

Harleys

Harleys

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14569441#post14569441 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by mskohl
apparently there are multiple kinds of these. I view them all as pests since I can't tell them apart. I have witnessed them eat my zoas., and they were expensive ones too.

In Paul's talk, he said that if you can't support a harlequin, and you want them out, then you would have to manually remove them. I do like his idea of stabbing them with the needle like a clean up crew picking up trash.

I have a pair of Harlequins in my 120G Seahorse tank, because I saw Asterinas munching on our zoas - there were breeding like crazy. They are now under control and I am actually raising asterinas in a 2.5G tank to keep the Harley's in food. As with all our critters, we named them: Harley and Harlot. :eek2:

We really enjoy watching them...

LL

I've been watching them in my tank and I think they've developed a taste for my zoas. I saw one munching on my RPE colony and that was enough. I'm going to start hunting soon.

Asterina "scooper"

Asterina "scooper"

Somewhere I saw an article about a homemade contraption that is used to harvest asterina stars off aquarium glass. It looks like a blade with a small container. The blade loosens the stars as it is dragged across the glass. Then the stars drop into the container. Has anybody seen one of those?

LL

Lucky enough I've only seen them on the LR looks like they are eating coraline algea, but I'm keeping an eye on them. If I start harvesting you are welcome to them LL.

I like mine, but i don't keep any zoas so i can't say if they eat them or not. If i catch them eating anything in my tank they will be on the short list for death lol.

I use a hose. One end of the hose in the tank the other end in the sump with filter bag. Then just manually vacuum them.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14573785#post14573785 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xinumaster
I use a hose. One end of the hose in the tank the other end in the sump with filter bag. Then just manually vacuum them.

I used that technique for cyano when I had outbreaks...

LL

Back