Asterna stars eating all my zoa's, need advice

nathan1986

Okay so I've always had these asterna starfish in at least one of my tanks over the years. Well now my 120 is literally being overtaken by them. They are everywhere and they are killing my zoa's. Are there any alternatives other than manual removal and or Harlequin shrimp? I have a porcupine puffer and I'm certain he will eat the Harlequin shrimp. Looking for some tips

15081.jpg

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

have they ever bothered them before? I find mine ither eat the coraline algae or just green algae. may actually be 2 different species. the only ones I have ever seen on my zoas clear a path at the base like they are eating detritus. zoas close for a few hours and then open as the stars leave.

Okay so I've always had these asterna starfish in at least one of my tanks over the years. Well now my 120 is literally being overtaken by them. They are everywhere and they are killing my zoa's. Are there any alternatives other than manual removal and or Harlequin shrimp? I have a porcupine puffer and I'm certain he will eat the Harlequin shrimp. Looking for some tips

View attachment 366026

Wow, I had zillions, but never bothered my Zoa's. Just get a harlequin. I resisted because I had a couple desirable stars that the harlequin would have taken out, but that will do the trick.

But, when he/she is done, got to find he/she a new home.

I'd say I've lost well over 300 polyps in the past few months. They are decending down the colony. I see the stars wrapped around the polyps daily now. And Mike I'd love to get a Harlequin but I'm sure my large puffer would make a snack out of it quickly

Remove the puffer till the harlaquin does his job eating them all. Yes I have had them also eat my Zoa in the past. I think john has a storage programs for fish available

Remove the puffer till the harlaquin does his job eating them all. Yes I have had them also eat my Zoa in the past. I think john has a storage programs for fish available
Will a foxface pose a threat to the Harlequin? I'll have to call John and talk to him. Thanks for the tip

They are perfectly harmless until they are not lol. I had them in my 90 for awhile no problems, then like yours they started feasting on my zoas (mainly the high end of course) I got a harlequin and he definitely brought the population down, you could even try for 2 if they are real bad, just have a plan to relocate once they are finished. Manual removal is usually not very effective once it gets to this point but can help. Watch the tank in the evenings, some stars will migrate up the glass later at night.

My (irishtangs) harlequin pretty well annihilated my asterina population in a few weeks. Ever since we see one or two occasionally.

I have heard anecdotal accounts of linkia stars eating them but not fast enough to control a population and have never caught ours doing so.

I have found over the years the non-white ones aka darker gray and reddish ones will eat zoas..not just cleaning rocks..where the pale white do not. That may also contribute to there color...so any darker or reddish go to the circular ocean portal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

I have found over the years the non-white ones aka darker gray and reddish ones will eat zoas..not just cleaning rocks..where the pale white do not. That may also contribute to there color...so any darker or reddish go to the circular ocean portal.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

great observation! mine were all white, so probably why never messed with my Zoas! Love the forum for user experience for sure!!

Back