Asylumdown's 275 gallon SPS reef

asylumdown

I think I had a build thread for this tank on ReefCentral ages ago but never really did anything with it. A blog seems like a good place to put it instead!

Since the tank is now 19 months old, this blog will be mostly pic heavy.

Specs -

6' long, 34" wide, 27" tall starphire display. The tank was built in to the wall of the house my partner and I built separating our dining room from the office and is open on both sides. It's 275ish gallons. The sump wen running holds approximately 100 gallons of water, for a total system volume of 375ish gallons

Water changes are handled by an over-sized custom sump which can have 3 out of 4 of it's chambers isolated from the flow of the main system. The largest chamber (45ish gallons after equipment displacement) can be drained with a permanent pump, then R/O water is pumped up in from the basement, salt is mixed in, and the whole sump is then put back 'in-line'.

Equipment:

lighting - 8 gen 1 radions on a custom program
Flow - Reeflo dart return pump, 2 Vortech MP40s and 2 Vortech MP60s
Filtration - Deltec SC2560 skimmer, recirculating biopellet reactor, Vertex reactor running GFO
Control - Continuously evolving Apex controller package

Fish:
Longhorn cowfish
Doliatus Rabbit
Bluethroat trigger
Copperband Butterfly
5 Dispar anthias
3 Purple queen anthias
a very cryptic Suisse basslet (I see it like once a month)
Richmond's wrasse
3 bangaii cardinals
Coral Beauty Angelfish
Powder blue tang (brand new, presently in QT)

Corals - more than I know the names of. Mostly SPS, a few LPS, a couple small colonies of zoanthid.

Here's some pics showing the history:

Construction stage:

Sump

Installing sump and stand

Then the house got built around it:

Felt like forever to get to enclosure stage

The inside of the enclosure was covered in a thick epoxy liner

Back