ATO/Siphoning Problem

Ubiq

I have a 40 gallon Brute feeding my sump ATO. Problem is, when the ATO turns off, water continues to siphon into my sump (when the water level is higher in the Brute than in the sump). Came home yesterday to find my salinity at 30.4. I've thought of using a solenoid valve powered from the same outlet as the ATO, but have read that they do not fully close absent pressure (when they work at all). I'm sure there's a simple solution but it eludes me. Could use some suggestions. Thanks.

Sounds like you need to break the back syphon..what if you punch a small hole close to end of tube?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Here's what I use
79e66bd70736ea7ca023d4ff6ad7977b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the response. Turns out my Auto Aqua siphon break was installed a couple of inches too low. Moved it to the highest point in the line and all is well.

Great to hear that you got it. Funny, mine didn't come with one, punched a hole in the line, and made it too low.... took longer than I'd like to admit before I finally caught the issue.

Welcome to RC and see you around!

I have a 40 gallon Brute feeding my sump ATO. Problem is, when the ATO turns off, water continues to siphon into my sump (when the water level is higher in the Brute than in the sump). Came home yesterday to find my salinity at 30.4. I've thought of using a solenoid valve powered from the same outlet as the ATO, but have read that they do not fully close absent pressure (when they work at all). I'm sure there's a simple solution but it eludes me. Could use some suggestions. Thanks.

Another way of dealing with this to use a peristaltic pump, probably what you will do if you stick with the hobby

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/reefing/Brs-Peristaltic-Dosing-Pumps

Back