ATO suggestions

rone_kevin66

I'm finally looking to buy an ATO I'm sock for filling up evap. Tanks is a biocube29 with custom 15 gal sump. Theirs not much room in sump am so I was looking at getting the AUTOAQUA SMART ATO. Just wondering what everyone thinks about it. It has good reviews but is it worth the 150$.

I personally like the tunze osmolator. It's just a few more bucks buts its been around forever with great reviews. The autoaqua seems like a decent proven product though.

I have AutoAqua Smart ATO and I love it. I've had it for almost a year with no issues. Very easy to set up.

Return is a 7x7 section and the return pump and phosban 150 take that space up. I haven't seen in person I'll need to head that way to look at it. Mercuio thanks that's why I was looking at that one. Small size and easy setup. That's for eeveryone help

I built my own utilizing a float switch and the apex controller for one of my tanks. The other tank has an Avast ATO. The Avast ATO works independently (no controller necessary) and is a great product.

I personally like the tunze osmolator. It's just a few more bucks buts its been around forever with great reviews. The autoaqua seems like a decent proven product though.

I always thought tunze where great till I got a life reef ATO. Use a 50ml dosing pump from bulk reef supply and get simple 2 system float switches and u r good to go.

I have 2 AutoAqua Smart systems..top quality. I Like the alarms. And how easy it is to set your level and be done.

I built my own using float valves and gravity.
No electric anything, no pumps, no sensors, no filling (my RO/DI feeds resevoir/or to tank)
I don't need no stinking alarms

I built my own using float valves and gravity.
No electric anything, no pumps, no sensors, no filling (my RO/DI feeds resevoir/or to tank)
I don't need no stinking alarms

Dead on. I have done the same thing. If you can elevate the holding tank above the rim of your sump then gravity will give you everything you need. No maintenance, and I like to think gravity is pretty reliable. Hasn't failed me yet!

Why not a controller?

When I first got into the hobby I bought a ATO then got rid of it because I did not need it anymore because of a controller.

Had I known I would of got a controller from beginning.

Reef Keeper Light is about $100, but there are others.

If you wanted complete ATO system, one that had the smart to tell you everything, you would want it to be like this.

1) Start delay low level. When the pump would start after the low level is detected.

2) How long should the whole process take from low level to turning the pump off.

3) How long should the pump run.

4) If level is still low, and the pump ran out of time.

5) Sensor should be optical, no float to stick.

6) Manual float valve, to protect from anything going bad.

7) How many times did ATO turn on in a 4 hour and 24 hour cycle. Saltwater and RO/Di water are compared.

8) If you wet skim, do a Conductivity check before ATO starts. Switch to saltwater instead of RO/Di water during ATO.

9) Minimum amount time ATO detection, optical stops working check.

10) Stop the ATO system and send a text alarm if anything above failed.

Yes this would be a a perfect ATO system and yes i have design one that does this. :thumbsup:

One more thing to add.

I personally like Peristaltic Pump out of the rest.

These is no contact with any type of metal with a peristaltic pump, 100% hose through out the whole system, nothing to rust. The peristaltic pump in nature has a built in shutoff valve. One of rollers is always pinching the hose.
Do not need to worry about the water being siphon back.

Diaphragm pumps are nice but they have two check valves, spring and a ball.
Those two things will rust in time.

Back