Attach fish tank to Frag System?

tekknoschtev

Well, normally the question goes the other way... should I tie my frag system into my display tank... but in my case I will have a frag system consisting of approximately 100gallons (two 30gal tanks + 60gal sump/fuge). The tank in question will be a barebottom 60gal cube for my green spotted puffer. I dont know what other information is necessary to make an educated decision however...

I have read the pros and cons of adding a frag system to a display, but I have also read that there are those who believe that fish waste helps promote coral growth (obviously to an extent). It may not be the waste but rather that the tank would be fed a bigger variety of foods which helps. Who knows.

Anyways, can anyone forsee any issues with attaching the 60cube to the frag system? I'd like to have a sump on it, and this is not only space saving, but cost saving, and I'll be able to use one larger skimmer on both systems. Also saves me from having to purchase a seperate return pump (the Mag 12 I'm getting will be more than adequate to accomodate ~200gph to the puffer's tank.

Thanks for the input!

I have my frag tank connected to my display. Works great for me... But I only have a 37 gallon display and a 33L frag tank.

ok. Thanks for the input. I think I decided that I'm just going to go for it, to save some money in setting up the puffer's new tank. I just have to find a location in the basement for her tank that isnt in the way of anything, but also visible to everyone who comes down, and is close enough to be plumbed successfully to the same setup.

For the time being, my return pump, a Mag 12, will be T-ed off to the fuge, however, once I get my puffer's tank is setup, I'll have the T go to her tank, since the fuge is fed by the overflows from the two frag tanks :D So no worries there.

Not good ones :p She's difficult to photograph, and currently I'm fighting hair algae in the tank (but winning). I'm hoping her new setup will allow for decent pictures.

Back