Attaching Large Maxima

npaden

I've got a 7" maxima that I've had for over 1 1/2 years - it was attached to a chunk of rock (about 2" X 3") when I got it so placement has always been a PITA. Well, it dropped the chunk of rock recently, everything looks fine but I can't decide what I should do with it, put it in a good spot and let it attach to my rockwork or find an old derasa shell or something thin for it to attach to.

I realize if I let it attach to my rockwork I won't be able to pull it out to clean it or anything, but I haven't pulled it out in a long time anyway as it spits a stream of water about 4' long whenever I pull it out of the water. I think I've got my pyrimidal snail problem taken care of with my leopard wrasse and a vigilant removal program but that is the only reason I've ever pulled this clam. I guess it would be safer to find something thin for it to attach too but it would be nice to just let it attach to the rock.

Any suggestions?

Thanks, Nathan

I generally prefer the old shell or loose rock method so I can remove them if necessary for any reason. However, I have had a few which I let attach themseleves to rocks and just cut the threads when I had to move them. I imagine that you won't be moving tank for alongtime so maybe just let it attach?

Nathan,
That is a big max! I would let him stay on a piece of rock that can be removed from the tank if need be. Also a max that be since he dropped his little piece of rock may not attach. Is he on the bottom of the tank?
Jim
www.tanku.net

The max is about 18" under 400W Iwasakis. I've always placed it so that the piece of rock it was attached to was hanging freely. (The ends of the clam were resting on rock but the middle was over an open space or a big hole so that the rock wasn't resting on anything).

I've still got it in the same position where the foot is out in the open and it has been extending the foot about 2"+ looking for something to attach to. That's why I noticed it had dropped the rock it was attached to because I saw it's foot extending out.

I think I will try to find an old derasa shell and break it to just the right size and see if it will attach to that.

I had a crocea that I just got do nearly the same thing a couple weeks ago and it attached to the shell in a couple days. Was a little scary as the crocea (about 3.5") dropped a boat load of byssal threads along with the rock when it detached itself, but everything seems to be going fine now for it.

Jim, Here is a pic of the clam:
big_maxima_4-23-02.jpg

You can see a reflection of the eggcrate from my overflow superimposed on the clam that gives you some idea of it's size. Also the turbo snail and astrea snail on the top of the pic.

Thanks for the advice, Nathan

Well, I've fashioned a nice piece of an old derasa shell to fit under the foot of the clam. It has set on it for a full 24 hours now without moving or jumping so it looks like it might take to it. The foot looks like it should be able to attach pretty easily.

Thanks for the input.

Nathan

CLAM PLACEMENT

CLAM PLACEMENT

Nice Clam,
I always let my clams on the bottom...sand....they can be moved and they dont seem to mind it either...When i put them on the rocks to attach they never seem to stay where i put them any way, and always seem to be aiming the wrong way for viewing, guess i would have to move the lights to the out side of the tank, for it to get set in the right direction.:rollface:

Jamfry:

Do you have any bristtleworms in your tank? I have some good size ones and a hord of little ones. I'm afraid to put a clam on the sand other than a deresa.

WORMS

WORMS

Yes i do have B worms\,
There is a huge one that is a the size of a pencil but longer, he doesnt bother any of the clams and seems to do a fantastic job of turning over the sand bed, i wish I had another, for the rocks i have a shrimp that cleans them up. I see him pulling them outta the rocks and having a late night snack...

Jamfry:

Thanks for the reply. I have a cinnamon clown which feeds the small worms to a caribbean flower anemone she adopted as her host. Real funny fish. I've had her for 18 months now and she thinks she owns the tank. My husband nicknamed her "Bin Laden" She even attacks me if I get to close when I neaten up the tank. The yellow tang is the only fish which stands up to her. If she gives him any grief he just goes into reverse and backs into her. That works! Anyway I still have plenty of worms they come out of every hole in the rockwork when I feed at night and they're under every stone. Glad to hear they won't harm a clam.

I keep my T. deresa, both T. maxima, and T. squamosa on the sand bed for the last 3.5 years. I have dozens of big bristle worms and no problems so far. I like to take out my clams every 3-4 months and scrub the shells with an old tooth brush. Also they look more colorful viewed at a downward angle.

Regards,
Kevin

WORMS AGAIN

WORMS AGAIN

Worms are a sign of a healthy tank so dont get excited or worried about them....they keep things clean....:thumbsup: :fish1:

Thanks Kevin. Jamfry, I am going to stop worrying unless I do see a problem for myself. I had become concerned following a conversation with Jim Norris.

I'll start a new thread about lighting. I'm about to complete my lighting and I want to be sure I have enough light to keep the clams on the sand. Thanks again.

I personally try to mimick their natural settings and place the derasa and squasmosas on the sand and maximas and croceas on the rocks.

If you have enough light I doubt it matters much to the clam, but the maximas and croceas seem to dislike the sand getting disturbed around them and do well up in the rocks.

FWIW, Nathan

Thanks for the pointer Nathan.

I have sugar fine sand and was thinking of adding a layer of coarser sand on the top to cut down on the clouds made by my benny and clown. I only have one or two suitable places on the rocks. Will use those first then it would have to be the sand. I thought I would place them on flat rocks on the sand.

I have a small 3" gold maxima that refuses to attach to any rock or shell and seems quite happy on my sugar fine sand. This was my first clam. My next one, a 4" blue maxima attached to a small rock without any problem. Then I got a couple larger maximas, a 5" aqua and a 6" black and green and I didn't have a spare rock large enough. I just laid them on the fine sand and they seemed happy enough but they started to bore down into the sand until most of their shells were underground and their mantles were right on the sand surface. I put them on a couple large round kind of flat shells I had and they've been happy as clams ever since :)

Flame Angel:

Thanks for the feedback. I'll stop worrying about the sand too. That only leaves the lighting. :)

Back