Avoiding hitchhiker crabs?

Fishfins

Hi everyone,

I am planning on buying my first coral (a leather) and would really appreciate some advice on dipping/qt.

I inherited my first reef tank after some bad power cuts in the UK, the guy who had the tank had lost everything apart from 2 mushrooms in his 20g tank and was getting rid of it so I took it. I added a few shrimps and small fish and everything was fine apart from I spotted what I think was a devil crab (smooth green body, red eyes, HUGE pincher on one arm). Apart from giving me the creeps (I hated him) my blenny disappeared after starting to sleep in a hole close to him. I decided he had to go and eventually caught him (many nights sat with a torch, I had no luck with crab traps due to my greedy shrimp!). After rejoicing over my crab free tank a few nights later I spotted a hairy brown crab in his place. By then I hated crabs and removed this one too.

Now I have a 110g tank which I have been running for about 6 months now. I am ready for my first coral and have the old 20g tank set up as a qt tank. I am really scared on introducing baby crabs to my main tank though. Is there anything I can do to stop this?

I am planning to dip but not sure what with yet, I'm in the uk so can't get Bayer. Is it worth trying to remove the coral from the rock it comes on and chucking that rock? Or am I worrying about nothing?

Many thanks for any help!

Are you buying coral on frag plugs or chunks of rock? There should be many readily available coral dips on the market. If not try online. A LFS should be able to point you in the direction. You can always ask what they recommend and closely examine the frag before you purchase.

The risk are always there in the end, that's just the way it is.

I've bought TONS of corals and NEVER had a "crab" hitchhike in on one..
brittle stars/pods/worms sure.. crabs.. never..

Thanks for your replies, my LFS only has moderate sized corals on rock fragments, no frags on plugs. A larger store further away does have plugs and a wider rannge but their fish never look healthy and I've always avoided buying from them.

It's good to know I might be worrying about nothing if you've never had crabs hitchhiking!

IF you're really worried and dealing with a fairly large rock with a frag, hold the frag in qt for a day and put in a wine carafe (glass) with a piece of raw shrimp, slightly tilted against the rock. Crab generally can climb in, but can't climb out.

Aah of course, I'd missed the fact I can use a crab trap in qt without my greedy shrimp in there!!

Thanks for your replies everyone, I feel much better about it now! :)

Thanks for your replies, my LFS only has moderate sized corals on rock fragments, no frags on plugs. A larger store further away does have plugs and a wider rannge but their fish never look healthy and I've always avoided buying from them.

It's good to know I might be worrying about nothing if you've never had crabs hitchhiking!

I had an acropora eating crab hitchhike into my tank on a large piece of chalice that had some good hiding places underneath. QT and observe.

Back