AWC with a peristaltic pump?

hipertec

Hi, Im thinking about using a peristaltic dosing pump like the Aqua Medic SP3000 for an automatic water changes with 2 SP3000 (one old water out and one for NSW) hooked up to my Apex Jr. Also going to add a float switch high and low just in case for emergencies.

My tank is small, (50G tank) so thinking about doing small 1G per day setup via Apex for xx mins per xx times per day.

Do you guys think this will work for an AWC using these peristaltic dosing pumps with an Apex Jr and float switches?

Last edited:
I use them on my tank which is a 42 gallon hex tank. I don't have a Apex though. I don't see why you cannot do it on a apex. I do use a overfull and under full float swith. to trigger alarms to turn off both pumps just incase. You will have to calibrate them as close to each other as possible. I use different timers for both pumps that way I can trim a few seconds if needed on one of the pumps.

I use them on my tank which is a 42 gallon hex tank. I don't have a Apex though. I don't see why you cannot do it on a apex. I do use a overfull and under full float swith. to trigger alarms to turn off both pumps just incase. You will have to calibrate them as close to each other as possible. I use different timers for both pumps that way I can trim a few seconds if needed on one of the pumps.
Thank you. Do you have both running at same time for xxx time or one doser out with old water, then stop and one doser in with new salt water after the old one is off?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

They run at the same time for 15 min three times a day. They are calibrated to 65mi a minute. The water is taken out of the refugium section and dispensed into the return section of the sump.

I have a stenner dual head pump.

Was taking out and bringing in water equally when I was doin water changes.

The trick is to have the same length of tubing on both sides of each head.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Hi, Im thinking about using a peristaltic dosing pump like the Aqua Medic SP3000 for an automatic water changes with 2 SP3000 (one old water out and one for NSW) hooked up to my Apex Jr. Also going to add a float switch high and low just in case for emergencies.

My tank is small, (50G tank) so thinking about doing small 1G per day setup via Apex for xx mins per xx times per day.

Do you guys think this will work for an AWC using these peristaltic dosing pumps with an Apex Jr and float switches?

Doing AWC with a peristaltic pump is a great idea, however I wouldn't use one that can NOT be calibrated. the Aqua Medic SP3000 is a fixed speed, and can NOT be adjusted for normal wear. I would be concerned that 2 pumps would dispense varying amounts of fluid within the same time frame. Meaning that even if you took 2 pumps that rolled off the assembly line one right after the other it will not be pumping the exact same volume.

Because it is critical to remove and replace the same amount of salt water to avoid salinity swing, you'll want to use a peristaltic pump that can be calibrated regularly.

I personally have 2 peristaltic pumps for my awc and I use the ecotech versas, they are the most versatile peristaltic pump for the hobby. I have both pumps running constantly at 15ml/min 24/7. The great thing is that you don't need to have an apex to program them, so you can free up 2 power outlets.

Small dosing pumps are not good for AWC. You want to use a stenner pump they are made for this task. Ran a dual head for years doing water changes.

Which model of the Stenner pumps are you guys referring too? I see some that are really expensive.

Which model of the Stenner pumps are you guys referring too? I see some that are really expensive.

You don't need an industrial grade pump for the aquarium use. The idea of using expensive medical grade peristaltic pumps are from a time when the hobby didn't have a viable solution. Now the hobby has pumps that are suited for the salt water environment and can be wireless controlled.

I used a 170 MD. You would have to use a GHL MAXI doser SA. Why use and industrial pump it they are just made to run with little fussing with. I took care of peristaltic pumps for 35 years as an industrial tech. They are used everywhere and in a large city there are plumbing or swimming pool stores that sell the tubing repair kits that you can get real easy and cheaply.
They can even be run with a simple timer if you don't have a aquarium computer.

I used a 170 MD. You would have to use a GHL MAXI doser SA. Why use and industrial pump it they are just made to run with little fussing with. I took care of peristaltic pumps for 35 years as an industrial tech. They are used everywhere and in a large city there are plumbing or swimming pool stores that sell the tubing repair kits that you can get real easy and cheaply.
They can even be run with a simple timer if you don't have a aquarium computer.
I also have the 170MD.

I like it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back