AZSB and the decline of the EV aquarium store. (long)

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think jack might know something more about running a business then anyone else there at that store (check out his other childrens store to see what i mean - stark contrast to how azsb was being run)... but as you pointed out his knowledge about the hobby was lacking...

paul didnt have the 'finesse'
that it takes to work w/ the public... as many have already pointed out its not easy to make everyone happy... but when it comes to customer service - ((((its not really that hard)))))... basics - called being friendly, courteous, and helpful... treating the customers w/ respect (should) go w/out saying... obviously it would seem that some of these elements were not (always) being practiced at the store...

so paul is gone
its no surprise to many... it wasnt his destiny to be a lfs tycoon like perhaps he was 'dreaming' to be... or who knows maybe paul will open up shop down the road w/ yet another lfs in the area... or perhaps even end up working at PETCO someday...

hasta luego Paul (and company)
:wavehand:

neptune im reporting you to a moderator..... you may have done nothing wrong. but you definitely need a talking to about taking posts way off topic with an obviously personal agenda...... your below the belt remarks at a man who cant defend himself against them are uncalled for and show that you are not all that great a person as you like to say... get off your pedestal , your no better then what your saying about paul.

Just for note, Jack doesn't own another store, Louis and his wife own a toystore... which is awesome, and from what I can tell, doing quite well...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13398997#post13398997 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dvlax40
neptune im reporting you to a moderator..... you may have done nothing wrong. but you definitely need a talking to about taking posts way off topic with an obviously personal agenda...... your below the belt remarks at a man who cant defend himself against them are uncalled for and show that you are not all that great a person as you like to say... get off your pedestal , your no better then what your saying about paul.

:eek:

:lol::lol: :lol:

I talked to Marcos today, he was in better spirits. The one owner still around it seems is going to try to keep it running and Marcos said he was going to try to work weekends to help get it back on it's feet, but it may not be open mon-friday until help arrives. I am willing to give them a second chance, I totally feel for Marcos. Seems he has had it pretty rough / cought in the middle of it all when he is just an employee. He is good people guys & really loves the hobby.

If the 1 owner does keep it open, I think you guys should give it a second chance as well and see if it comes around which I think it will.

Now put away the torches and pitch forks guys. Lets keep the local LFS a good place rather than a hanging.

Last edited:
This is just sad.

I don't know why and don't want to speculate, but I am sad that the stocking levels at most LFS, except Aquatouch, is less than it was before. Probably due to fuel prices, but fish prices have definitely increased across the board. For example, a few years ago , a nice size yellow tang can be had for $20-$25 dollars regularly, but now, you would be lucky if you got one for $35.

And will higher prices, reduced demand, even in a good economy.

I was really hoping AZSB would succeed. I like Paul's idea of limited mark-up covered by higher volume.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13399141#post13399141 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by vanmle
This is just sad.

I don't know why and don't want to speculate, but I am sad that the stocking levels at most LFS, except Aquatouch, is less than it was before. Probably due to fuel prices, but fish prices have definitely increased across the board. For example, a few years ago , a nice size yellow tang can be had for $20-$25 dollars regularly, but now, you would be lucky if you got one for $35.

And will higher prices, reduced demand, even in a good economy.

I was really hoping AZSB would succeed. I like Paul's idea of limited mark-up covered by higher volume.

It is a great idea. And I think it would work, the problem is you have to have that demand, and to many people go to the internet instead of local stores, on the assumption that the internet is cheaper. I've compared prices, and usually for me, it seems that AZSB is very reasonable. If I find a price that seems unusually high, I will ask them about it, and on occasion they can give a slight discount to help out a bit. I would much rather buy locally, and know that the store will help out if I ever have a problem with my tanks, or item that I have purchased through them.

People in Phoenix are VERY lucky to have as many stores to shop at as they do, and NICE ones at that. To keep this 'luxury' available, the local stores HAVE to have our support, for day to day items as well as 'special' order things. The internet may save me a few dollars here and there, but by the time I pay shipping and WAIT, and then take the chance of it being broken and have even more hassle dealing with that, I'd rather spend a few more dollars and know what I'm getting when I leave the store. And for about the same price as the internet plus shipping...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13399280#post13399280 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bundoon_Blenny
It is a great idea. And I think it would work, the problem is you have to have that demand, and to many people go to the internet instead of local stores,

Actually, for a good while I was specifically NOT going to internet stores and going to AZSB. I may have had to pay a slightly higher price as well as tax, but I was firmly entrenched in the "support your LFS" mode.

Then their pricing went through the roof.

artard is bad? pretty sure its a joke from south park.. effing? cleaned that word up alot.... the bleeped out word isnt bad either really..... but go ahead and ignore me, i really pay no attention to the trolls that post inne IBTL pictures... talk about childish

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=13399619#post13399619 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dvlax40
artard is bad?

artard = r-tard. r-tard = retard.

So yeah, not so much good.

With AZSB being the closest local store to me - I have seen it have its good days and its bad days....

One HUGE thing that I would like to say that I have had the same issue at almost ALL of the LFS's (with 1 exception) and this ranges from rude service, bad info, to flat out being ignored that I was even in the store (tends to happen to me in a north valley store a lot.)

I also think that there are additional reasons for Paul's departure from the store, but, I won't elaborate on those (In fact, I'm pretty much sure thats the reason for the departure.)

[chimp]

I closed the last one, and looked at the beginning of this one. It started out okay, but I regret not getting back here sooner to see what the kids were up to.
Paul can not come here to defend himself. Allowing you people to have a free for all would be wrong. Since you OBVIOUSLY can't discuss this issue without it turning to a bash fest, it's now a topic of conversation that is not allowed here. Post about it again, I do not care how respectful you are, I will remove your ability to post here.
A special side note to dvlax40 (I don't think this is the first time I'm talking to you) and Neptune's Oasis.....

Reef Central uses profanity filters for a reason. If you have to get creative with symbols and misspellings to get your "word" to post, take the hint, and don't post it.
If I find that I've discussed this with either of you before, you will be banned without further warning. Same goes for any future attempts to evade the censors, assuming that I don't find any prior edits/discussions.
One other thing, I was starting to loosen my grip on this forum. Some of the new threads were not even getting looked at. It's pretty clear that I was doing so prematurely. This thread, and you two in particular helped me see that we're not done rehabilitating this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back