B-ionic 2 part

Spartanman22

I have read that people who use this experience excelerated growth. On marinedepot's description for this is says 1ml per gallon will raise calcium and alk x amount. My question is if my levels are consistent, and by consistent I mean calcium at 400, alkalinity at 4 meq's and pH at 8.2-8.3, is there any point to doing this. Will it just cause my levels to raise?

I have been wanting to use this stuff because my corals are doing well but not growing. I have had corals for 6-8 months now with no decline or signs of death but no growth either.

im not heavily stocked. I have a medium amount with mostly softiesand lps and a few sps. Im just confused because the products description says dosing x amount will raise calcium x amount. Does it eventually level off and just keep at a constant level or does it continue to climb

I believe if you are dosing more than what your corals are using then yes it will rise. If you are doing a minimal amount it could stay the same. There should be simple instructions and more complex directions that would require you to test for CA while adding the 2 part. Don't forget about your ALK. That is the other part of the 2 part. Also just an FYI-don't dose both at the same time. Dose one in the am and one in the pm. I forget why but they do not work as well when dosed at the same time.

There also is an excellent dosing chart website that you fill in what 2 part you are using and where you would like to be as far as CA or ALK and it tells you how much of the other you will need to get to that point.

I am by no way an expert in this area plz continue to research!

http://reef.diesyst.com/chemcalc/chemcalc.html

hah I found it!!!!!-pretty cool -might want to save this one!

Last edited:
I would raise calcium to 430 at least, but 400 is not bad. I keep my alkalinity at 7-8 dkh but thats for ME. My system has to run like that.. for you, it would be best to keep it from 8-10 dkh and magnesium in the 1300ppm range

that calculator is very useful. I use it all the time. Just make sure you guess your total volume correctly. I have a 75g and a 20g sump, but I guessed I had 60 gallons total and it's more or less correct-- I dose by that volume

ya 400 is not bad I would get it up if it were me too!
i am still getting into this 2 part thing- I have an order w/ bulkreefsupply.com for some of the diy 2 part

what are you doing now to maintain your levels? What test kits are you using? If your not doing anything then your alk and calc should be droping, especially your alk. B-ionic works great from what I hear, but you need to figure out how much alk and calc are used up in your tank per day or week. Then use the calculator to see how much to add daily or weekly.

All I do is water changes. I test weekly after a water change and get consistent measurements. For Ca I use a Kent test I think cant remember, and for Alk I use a seachem test.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=14814456#post14814456 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by alphaferret
ya 400 is not bad I would get it up if it were me too!
i am still getting into this 2 part thing- I have an order w/ bulkreefsupply.com for some of the diy 2 part

You might be able to do cheap 2-part without ordering supplies online. (Having said that BulkReefSupply is great...but watch for shipping charges if you live far from them!)

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2006-02/rhf/index.php

That's a link to Randy's article on what you need to make it...REAL EASY.

What I use (I have a CA Reactor, I only used it to raise levels to the point I wanted them to so the Reactor would maintain it) is;

Calcium Chloride sold as "Hardness Plus" at "Leslie's Pool Suppy" it costs I think $11 for 8 pounds or something like that, enough for many gallons.

Baking soda ... 12 pounds for $6 at Costco!

I use the "baking the baking soda" method that Randy suggested.

So for less than $20, you can probably make at least 5 gallons (of each part) of 2 part solution, if not way more (You might even get more than 10 gallons, I haven't really bothered to figure it out)

Compare this to B-Ionic that sells for about $25 for one gallon each of CA and Alk!!

So check out the link and check out your local pool supplier (for Calcium Carbonate). If you live somewhere that sells Dow Flake and/or Mag Flake, this should be a no-brainer decision.

V

FWIW, I started using the B-Ionic 2-Part about four weeks ago in my 29 gallon BioCube...over the last two weeks, I have noticed a significant amount of coralline algae growth...I don't have any SPS corals, but my GSP and Anthelia (encrusting soft corals) have really shown quite a bit of growth as well compared to before I was dosing 2 part. Now if I could just get all that coralline algae to only grow on the rocks instead of the front and sides of the tank :)

I have been using B-ionic 2 part forever and swear by it..even after I upgraded to a 125g, I still use it instead of going to a reactor..

The best thing to do is to first find out what your tanks usage is of alk and calcium. First you will take a test of both and write down your results.
Then wait 2 days without adding anything or doing a water change.
then test again..write down your results..divide by the 2 days and that will be your daily usage rate.
If your usage is a small amount you may have to extend to 3 or 4 days and divide by those days.
then apply your parts A and B separately, usually at lights off is the best time to avoid PH swings.
I dose mine with a litermeter 3 and put my B-ionic in clear jugs so I can see when I need to refill...
The 2 part is generally used to maintain you Cal/alk...Use Calcium Chloride to raise your calcium levels and the 2 part to maintain it...
I run my calcium at 460 and Alk at 9.3-9.5

HTH

Yeah I know ...I go back and forth on that on a regular basis...especially nowadays!! :)

but I keep saying "Man if it aint broke, ...."

Then recently I did some math and to maintain my levels I run about 65ml each...thats roughly 2 months of applications.
So roughly its $12 bucks a month with no fuss and minimal mixing...

and then I figured the cost for a reactor with all the bells and whistles, all together would run about a $1,000.
So at $12 a month it would take me close to 7 years to break even on the reactor...

sooooo I decided...if it aint broke...... :D

When they give you directions as to how much to use, It is only a guideline. A 100 gallon aquarium packed with corals and coralline algea is going to use a lot more calcium & alk then a 100 gallon aquarium with fish, live rock and few hardy corals and inverts.
You have to test to see how much needs to be supplemented, every system is different.

Harley, I'm talking about making your own 2-part solution instead of B-Ionic. The CA Reactor won't cost that much!

homemade 2 part or kalkwasser drip is probably the cheapest CA supplementation. But there are threads all over about this.

I used homemade 2 part to boost levels, then a CA reactor AND a kalkmixer/topoff.

V

Check out all the articles by Randy Holmes Farley in the Archives... Here...

http://archive.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=102605

2-part is a supplement for keeping your alkalinity and calcium in balance. Yes, it will raise your levels but should only be use to maintain acceptable levels. I use Randy's DIY 2-part and it works great. I dose daily to make sure my alk/ca stay in balance. Go to Bulk Reef Supply and get yourself one of their DIY 2-part kits. It will save you lots of $$ over the name brand stuff. ;)

Back