Baby CB Regal Angel from Biota

OrionN

Moved on
It took me quite a while to pull the trigger but I finally got a pair of CB Regal Angels from Biota (from Bali Aquatics). I got the S/MD size which is 1 inch size. I did not want to sink almost 1K and come up empty handed. Experiences of various reefer on the more commonly size for sale, S at 1/2 inch, have been mixed. Two of my very good friends for 4 small ones and ended up with just 1 angel. These are accomplish long term reefers. I do not think I can do any better than them so I hold off for larger size mainly from advises and experiences of these two friend. Biota said that at this age, the pattern of the fish is not reliabley stay as is. Often the irregular are transient and will straight our as they grow so Biota does not sell them classified as mis-bared or regular. I asked Jake to send the largest two he has on hand, nevermid mis-bared or not. I actually prefer normal pattern or slightly mis-bared, not the wildly exotic irregular bars.
I got them delivered on 7/9/2024. They came as advertised. Healthy 1-inch Regal Angels, a little thin but healthy otherwise. Both has mis-bared. One with false eyespots (Beau) and one without (Bella). I took pictures of them and plant to document their development on this thread. They are very small and fit right through my overflow teeth without much effort on the part of the fish. Even if the Overflow box are covered, Bella manage to ride the overflow to sump the first night I let them loose in the QT system main tank. She is comfortable and eating well in the sump, it would take some doing to catch her from there, so I set up a light down there for her. I spend the effort needed to put her back into the main QT system once she is a little fatter and eating well. Yesterday, at home, I manage to get both of them very full by the day's end. Short of 1 week and they have get visibly gain weight, if not lenght. I am happy and reasonably sure that I can keep these alive in my care, baring any accident. The following are pictures of the two fish. I did not have some of the best picture attach because the size was too large.
Certainly these are not cheap fish but I hope they will be with me for a long time and definitely worth it.

Small tidbit about color and pattern of Regal. As I understand it, the Eye spots of these fish formed very early. Normally they do not resolve but eventually morph into the dark dorsal blue coloration the rear of the dorsal fin. Some tank raised Regal Angels lost the eye spot early and never developed that dark blue area at all. I saw one CB regal of another reefer in another forum with no eye-spot and at 3 inch has no blue spot on the dorsal fin at all. That really make an unique and interesting pattern.

Apparently some of the early CB Regal from Bali apparently are cross between the Blue chest and Yellow chest and has coloration in between, IMO. I think/hope they removed all the Blue chest from the breeding population.

Bella, first day in the main tank
RegalAngel2024071013N.jpg

Bella in the sump
RegalAngel2024071302Bella.jpg
RegalAngel2024071306Bella.jpg

Beau in the QT main tank
Pictures on 7/12/2024
RegalAngel2024071204Beau.jpg
RegalAngel2024071208Beau.jpg

This is a picture of the fish that does not have the blue dorsal fin, at 3 inches per the owner.
3/2023
1720794601659.jpeg

6/2023
1720794642206.jpeg

5/2024
1720794688332.jpeg

Back