Back in the game!

Siapin

Hi RC, it's been a loooong time.....I forgot how much I love this community. After ~15 years of being out of the hobby, I've added a few children to the mix, and they're really into reef tanks. We regularly go to LB Aquarium, and they love it.

So I'm planning on starting off with a 20-30g nano on the countertop with a couple softies, and couple fish, maybe build up to a RTBA. But I'm so out of touch on new products and what works great. So to start any recommendations on setup? Tank? Skimmer? Light? Whether it's 1) an all-in-one, or 2) buy the tank/sump, then all equipment individually, that's fine too.

Then in the meantime, I'll slowly begin a custom build of a 600-850g if the wife and little ones are really into it. I have the perfect spot!

Welcome back! Lots has changed.

Few all in ones nowadays include lights (or lights are optional in the price). With that said, I haven’t ran a skimmer on my tank for close to a year now and haven’t had issues. Nutrients, in the right amount are your friend (I.e shooting for all zeros has gone the way of the dodo) - see below:
IMG_0094.jpeg

With that said, there are plenty of brands that are a build as you go or even upgrade.

I’m personally not a fan of Red Sea brand tanks just based on the leak stories I’ve heard, but there’s plenty of successful tanks out there and it’s one of the biggest brands in the hobby. Also I’m not sure how the leak reports compare to nano sizes vs larger sizes.

Theres also Innovative Marine, Waterbox, and Cade that offer versions of all in one or at least customizable design as far as selecting lights and what not in the package (some have all in ones, others have sump set ups)

Then there’s the old standard all in ones of NanoCube, BioCube and Fluval. The lights in these set ups should be adequate for most softies and some LPS. The spectrum of the lights may be limited if you want to get that “pop” of color in the blue spectrum. The lights can be upgraded though either with ones that fit in the lid or by removing the lid.

Hope this helps some! While I’m not in CA, there’s still plenty of reefing going on in CA

Hi RC, it's been a loooong time.....I forgot how much I love this community. After ~15 years of being out of the hobby, I've added a few children to the mix, and they're really into reef tanks. We regularly go to LB Aquarium, and they love it.

So I'm planning on starting off with a 20-30g nano on the countertop with a couple softies, and couple fish, maybe build up to a RTBA. But I'm so out of touch on new products and what works great. So to start any recommendations on setup? Tank? Skimmer? Light? Whether it's 1) an all-in-one, or 2) buy the tank/sump, then all equipment individually, that's fine too.

Then in the meantime, I'll slowly begin a custom build of a 600-850g if the wife and little ones are really into it. I have the perfect spot!

Welcome back! Unfortunately, RC is dead.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about your new tank. I’m in Downey, CA and can always help you with the set up.

Welcome back! Unfortunately, RC is dead.

Feel free to PM if you want to chat about your new tank. I’m in Downey, CA and can always help you with the set up.
Be more active and encourage people back. Things have changed quite a bit and things are much more relaxed here. You can even mention other forums😉

Be more active and encourage people back. Things have changed quite a bit and things are much more relaxed here. You can even mention other forums😉

Unfortunately, everyone has moved to Facebook Groups or Instagram. Forums in general seem like a dying breed.

Welcome back! I just got back myself after many years. If you are only going for a countertop nano with softies and a few fishes, it should be fairly simple. But if you are going for a monster tank in your comeback, then that is a whole new ball game. The technology and methodology is completely different with a steep learning curve and all kinds of bells & whistle, and get ready for the sticker shock.

I think it all comes down to how much you are willing to spend and what kind of corals/fish you want to keep, then you work it backwards to what kind of tank/equipment to get. I would avoid Redsea tanks based on multiple seam leaks disasters. I say go talk with other reefers, and maybe go check out as many setup as you can...and see other reefer's tanks if they allow it. Personally, I went with glass tank with slightly deeper dimensions (30" depth), LED lights, sand, oversized skimmer, ozone, UV and APEX controller. Most big time SPS reefers are running bare bottom so they can crank up the flow and blow the detritus into the water column, easier to maintain. But if you love wrasses, then you will want to have a sandbed....so all those choices will be up to you.

Back