Back in the Hobby after 15-20 yrs

Well the death has started. Lost a clown today, and I think it’s gonna be a domino effect. Tried a medication from my LFS but I think it’s too late. Whatever makes it through I’m going to see how to handle. Again, may have to just break the whole tank down and start over…..3 months and over just like that. Might end up with an expensive empty box in the living room for awhile

I’ve thought about it, but by the time I buy everything and cycle it I’m probably too late. If anything survives long enough that is my next step, but I’ve also heard stories of fish as sick as mine not surviving the stress of QT. I’ve dumped enough money into my setup already. If I dump more $$ and they die, my wife will not be happy. She’s already pissed I bought the amount of fish I currently have. “Why did you have to get that tang!” rings in my ears constantly. On the other hand if they all do die, I’m going to need a QT anyways. There is a store by my work that has QT tanks, so I may go that route for anymore fish in the future. Right now I’m a broke reefer with an expensive tank full of sick fish….

I wish there was a vet type business that would be able to handle emergencies like this for those of us without the means to have multiple tanks lying around. I’d pay for that in a heartbeat right now, knowing they’d be taken care of. Even if I run out and get a QT, with my luck I’d screw that up too

Yea. I know @Dr. Reef is a sponsor here, and does quarantined fish (I believe he may even offer special orders - not 100% on this). May be a route to go next time…only killer is the shipping charges.

I apologize as I don’t have much to offer as I’ve never dealt with velvet (to my knowledge)

No need to apologize, count yourself very lucky. Me on the other hand is defeated. I was sooo close to really ramping up on a killer setup, and now everything is on pins and needles. I can care less about testing etc…as it could literally be tomorrow that I would have to tear the whole thing apart and start over. If I didn’t have a fairly pricey anemone I think that’s what I would do and say to heck with the 5 small frags I have in the tank. I am just going to ride it out and hope and pray some fish survive…..but then it’s still a matter of time. This tank is now a ticking time bomb

No need to apologize, count yourself very lucky. Me on the other hand is defeated. I was sooo close to really ramping up on a killer setup, and now everything is on pins and needles. I can care less about testing etc…as it could literally be tomorrow that I would have to tear the whole thing apart and start over. If I didn’t have a fairly pricey anemone I think that’s what I would do and say to heck with the 5 small frags I have in the tank. I am just going to ride it out and hope and pray some fish survive…..but then it’s still a matter of time. This tank is now a ticking time bomb
Keep your head up! While disappointing, this just a stepping stone

Well the death has started. Lost a clown today, and I think it’s gonna be a domino effect. Tried a medication from my LFS but I think it’s too late. Whatever makes it through I’m going to see how to handle. Again, may have to just break the whole tank down and start over…..3 months and over just like that. Might end up with an expensive empty box in the living room for awhile
Best to catch all fish and give them a freshwater bath to give temprorary relief. then place them in hospital tank and either do chloroquine phosphate or copper treatment.

If space and time is an issue you can call us at 918-964-3333 and arrange shipping them to us and we can cure them for you. Time is not on your side when it comes to velvet.

I wont charge you anything for treatment. just pay your shipping cost to us and back. (we can also save you on shipping with our discounts)
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help.

If you decide to setup a qt. you can sacrifice a rock or media from your main tank to bring beneficial bacteria over to qt or use fritz turbostart 900 and establish immediate bio filter.

Last edited:
I just read your comment on breaking down and being down for 3-4 months. there is a quicker way. Which is what we use in our commercial setups when disease happens. We cant wait to be down for months on one of our systems.
Take the fish out and pour bleach in the running tank for 24 hrs. drain it and air dry everything for 24 hrs, rinse with freshwater and place it back. by 3rd or 4th day you can fill it back up and dose Fritz turbostart 900 and you can add fish right away.
So in 4 days you can have your tank up and lively again.

That is an amazing offer Dr Reef, and I truly appreciate it! I actually am in talks with a local LFS that has QT tanks to get one ready for my stock. I have only lost my clownfish, which sucks, but I am hopeful they will have the tank ready for me tomorrow for the remaining 7 fish. I will keep everyone updated. If things go south, I will definitely look to you Dr Reef to restock…..of course after a fallow period.

That is an amazing offer Dr Reef, and I truly appreciate it! I actually am in talks with a local LFS that has QT tanks to get one ready for my stock. I have only lost my clownfish, which sucks, but I am hopeful they will have the tank ready for me tomorrow for the remaining 7 fish. I will keep everyone updated. If things go south, I will definitely look to you Dr Reef to restock…..of course after a fallow period.
Could possibly jump the fallow period too with @Dr. Reef additonal suggestion with the bleach and Fritz Turbo Start

Yeah the larger fish were all stuck to the power heads and the small fish all swimming around upside down or with the current breathing heavy. Anything that was holding on just died in the net….I never thought something like this could happen. I had a tank for 7 years back in the early 2000’s and never experienced this. Literally a healthy looking tank decimated in days

Now I have a tank with a shrimp, some snails, an anemone and some small frags…..don’t know exactly what to do now. I was thinking of putting them in my brothers tank, but there is no way he’d stick anything from this tank in his, plus if he did and something happened in his I’d feel even worse than I do now. It’s like I’ve got a leper colony

Now I have a tank with a shrimp, some snails, an anemone and some small frags…..don’t know exactly what to do now. I was thinking of putting them in my brothers tank, but there is no way he’d stick anything from this tank in his, plus if he did and something happened in his I’d feel even worse than I do now. It’s like I’ve got a leper colony
Just concentrate on corals for a while. From what I've read even the nastiest strains of velvet can't last 30 days without fish.

Yeah, I’m just so gutted. I got back into this to help with my mental health, and this just totally threw me for a loop. I was so excited to have most of the fish I wanted, and to have to flush each of them down the drain just hurt.

Thank you. We are going on vacation at the end of August, so I will be looking at starting over with fish after that. Is there a way I can test that the velvet is gone?

Back