Background or no background

TheDouda

Besides visuals is there any advantages to a black background or any background on a tank? I had a black background I taped on the back of my tank it looks good but when cleaning the glass it's a big pain I took it off and really don't mind the look of no background. The only thing I could think of is light idk if it would reflect light back into the tank but it being black wouldn't seem like it would do much
f683b8a7789a840810fde1a710426ec3.jpg

i personally like black backgrounds but i think you should do what makes you happy. since your background is not permanent like mine(i painted mine), you could take it off and see if you like it for a while. if it doesn't work, tape the background back. :)

I used plasti dip - rustoleum product. It is completely removeable, if you do not like it for some reason. It looks just like real paint on glass.

I have a frosted back on mine, I like that it kind of looks like you're looking into the distance, the only drawback for me is that you can see cables and overflow pipes. I've hidden the lighting cables in this pic but cant think of a way to hide the overflow pipes unfortunately.

16569620376_0577a1b2c2_b.jpg
[/url]Photo on 21-02-2015 at 7.47 am #2 by kenpau01, on Flickr[/IMG]

So with the people that painted the back can you still use the magnets to clean your glass without scratching the paint

If my overflow boxes weren't on the back top I would do the ultimate background, a shadow box. Instead I use auto tint which still allows the use of a magnet algae scrapper to keep the back glass clean. If you're not cleaning the back glass it really doesn't matter as it will be covered in coralline algae in a year or so. Seeing the back wall, plumbing and wires would bother me for that time period though, so I would still use auto tint. :)

I use a black piece of cardboard from Michaels that is $3. they come in blue or black, just cut it to size and use double sided tape.

Plasti-dip works surprisingly well..

but im a krylon guy myself paint it black and forget about it..

So with the people that painted the back can you still use the magnets to clean your glass without scratching the paint

Sorry, you do know the paint is outside of the tank right? I can't get behind my tank to use a magnet nor do I really try to clean my back glass. When I do I use a scrapper on a stick thing....

yea i def know the paint is on the outside lol i might just leave it i can walk all the way around my tank so its nice to see what all is going on back there at least for now lol

Back