Bad Batch: reef code A &B

Yes. wait. brs has 2 different mixes. soda ash which has a high ph and sodium bicarbonate with a ph of 8.3ish.

Last edited:
I doubt the problem is a bad batch of alk suplement. Try measuring the alk just before and just after dosing and see if you get the expected boost. :)

I don't know what Brightwell sells, but it is normal for temporary white cloudiness after dosing the high pH two parts (which nearly all are) and you won't get it when using a low pH two part (such as B-ionic Bicarbonate or the DIY with unbaked baking soda).

Randy, just to be certain, would you say then that BRS brand calcium chloride and soda ash (sodium carbonate) is a "low pH two part"?

Also my plan now is to go BRS route dosing BRS 2 part via their 1.1 mL/min paristaltic pumps. What is your recommendation on timing each dose, i.e. run time and break time for each unit?

How long are you waiting between dosing Part A and Part B. I have used brightwell for a few years now and never had an issue.

Slowly trickling in each dose over koralia magnum 6 in sump. Maybe a 45 second pour of entire 150-200 mL dose is my "trickle rate"

After much thought I decided to pursue a second calcium reactor for this frag tank. It will use the same media as the DT and keep me on a path of sameness as I transition pieces from the frag tank to the DT.

I appreciate the insight here greatly. Ultimately too I feel that there is some form of natural benefit to good media in a reactor as opposed to mixing a 2 part. Personal preference Thanks again folks. -Greg Demos

Randy, just to be certain, would you say then that BRS brand calcium chloride and soda ash (sodium carbonate) is a "low pH two part"?

I know you said later you'd use a CaCO3/CO2 reactor (which is a fine plan), but to be clear, anything using sodium carbonate or baked baking soda is a high pH additive. :)

Just a quick update as I'm hoping to get time to hook up my Ca Rx this weekend. In the meanwhile I doses baking soda which helped me get up from 6.7 to 7.9 dKH. A Healthy start. But I wanted to try a new batch of brightwells A&B for sanity. With 225 mL A and 125mL B it brought my 75g frag system up to 435 ppm and 10.9 dKh right where i want to stay. And No White out!!!! Not sure why i avoided whiteout but happy about it Maybe the baking soda helped find a balance so i started iut in a better spot. Any way ilHoly crap: in 12 hours from 435 to 390 ppm. 10.9 to 7.3 dKH morning to night. Granted morning test was from sump 10 min after dosing. That's a 45ppm and 2.6 dKH daily burn rate. Hungry acros!

The 45 ppm calcium use is likely too high from testing errors.

If they actually took up 2.6 dKH, then the calcium likely only really declined by about 18 ppm. :)

Well certainly possible there are testing errors either in practice (though after testing 2-3 times daily for the past 2 months I think I got it down ;) or the capability of the salifert itself. Either way I can say these frags are soaking it up and so far as the no more whiteout yet keeping consistent with the 200 mL dose rate it's either something different about the batches or perhaps moving g the koralia in the sump a bit has helped in the mix

Got my calcium reactor up and running, octopus CR 1000D and controlling effluent via Masterflex http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368618paristaltic

I am concerned that my effluent is at such a high rate of 130mL/min and params are just hanging at 400ppm Ca, 9.3-10 dKH.

I was surprised to have the effluent test out at 15.7 dKH (good) and Ca at 440ppm (I thought kinda low).

I've got to assume I'm melting media at 6.5-6.7pH in the reactor.

I suppose I could dose 2part to get me in the 420ppm , 11dKH where I want to be but I've had such a terrible time with two part precipitate

The alk of the effluent is not very high. Maybe people run it in the 20-40 dKH range.

The reactor starts with tank water and adds a bit less than 20 ppm of calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alkalinity. So if it adds 6 dKH of alkalinity, the calcium will only rise by about 40 ppm. So the ratio of added calcium and alkalinity in your effluent looks exactly right. :)

Wow a ratio exactly right that sounds good! I dropped the pH in the reactor to 6.4-6.6. So now I should expect more media to melt and the parameters of effluent to increase right?

My quest for balanced parameters continues in my 75g Acro Frag tank and i could use a "Greg, Just Do This" answer!

My goal is to use my Ca Reactor to hold steady at 420-430ppm Ca and 11dKH.
I am now running my Reactor at 6.4-6.6 pH, down from 6.5-6.7
Tank tested at 400ppm Ca & 9.8 dKH. Suggestive of an imbalance correct, Ca should be higher?

Effluent tested at 410ppm Ca & 15.7 dKH which I know realize is just a carry over of my existing system imbalance.

So I dosed 150 mL Brightwells A and 150 mL B.
My goal was to boost Ca to approx 430ppm and Alk to 11 dKH.

I then realized I could have held off on the Part B.
pH in the sump spiked quickly from 8.2 to 8.9 and has since settled down to 8.4.

Now 30 min later tank tested at 420ppm Ca and 13dKH.
Effluent now tests at 445ppm Ca and 20dKH

Calculater suggests i dose another 150 mL Part A to get Ca from current 420 to 453, to balance out my 13 dKH.

I hope that Alk will come down 2dKH and I suspect it will be there in the morning.

Am I in danger of dosing another 150mL Part A at this point? chance of precip? will increased Ca make Alkalinity magically appear/climb in any way if i dose just A and not B to bring balance in line of 453ppm Ca to 13dKH? based on the type of consumption I'm seeing is it possible that I can escape 2 part at this point once i hit a balance?

Thanks!!

I don't see any strong reason to add anything right now, but boosting the calcium from 420 to 450 ppm won't make a significant difference in the potential for precipitation of calcium carbonate. :)

Back