bad experience with ebay metal halide bulb

gwhit

I recently had to replace a metal halide bulb and came across the twin arc bulbs. The concept is great a single bulb provides two spectrums -i.e. one for growth and one with bluer colour for good visual. I googled and was directed to an ebay seller (LSE - trust deals) and placed an order for 10k/20k. My hope was to have the bulb run at 10K when not home to promote growth and 20k when I was home for pleasing appearance and enhancing of colours. The bulb was about double the price of other bulbs sold by this seller but it was to have the double spectrum and I have a single socket. The bulb arrived and when I istalled it it did switch from one filament to the next but I could hardly detect any change in appearance of the tank. I took the bulb out to find it stamped 14k/20k. When I contacted the seller I was first told that the manufacturer had stated that it was the spectrum I ordered but the shipment was mislabled. When I said I know the difference I was then told that the seller was going to be receiving another shipment and he would keep me advised. No surprise but I did get any update from seller. When time was running out to file dispute through paypal I submitted one indicating that I was still hoping to get the item I ordered. The seller respond escalating the dispute into a claim and suggested a refund might be available if I return the one I got in the condition it was received. This seems to satisfy paypal and I am not holding my breath about getting satisfaction from them. I do not agree with having to incur any expense (shipping from Canada back to the US isn't cheap) and I don't trust this seller even if it is returned to him not to refuse the refund because the bulb was fired. The seller's web site says he "guarantees" that item is exactly as described. It should say ... or may be substituted at my option even for something you don't want. What really irks me is that the seller is continuing to offer the same bulb I ordered which either means the seller messed up my order and doesn't have the b... to fess up or it is a scam and more people than me are going to get hosed by this guy. I know the addage you always hear about ebay bulbs - you get what you pay for. I was prepared to gamble on the quality of bulb but I did not expect to have to fight about not even getting was was being advertised. While I cannot comment about the longevity of the bulb it does look good. I just wish that this seller was reputable and could be trusted. Be warned.

Back