Bag Filter Floss VS Filter Pads???

I have a 34G Red Sea with an In-Tank media rack.

I put the bagged floss (the very inexpensive type from wall mart that is used for stuffing pillows and things) and replace it a couple times a week.

Is there a big advantage to using floss pads like the ones from In-Tank. They are more expensive but still pretty cheap overall???

If you like the pads better, which ones do you recommend and how often do you replace them?

I'm assuming you just cut them to the exact dimensions of your media rack

I actually bought filter sock media from aquarium depot or bulk don't remember and cut out squares i replace them ones every 3 days and it filters out some of the finer particles

I actually bought filter sock media from aquarium depot or bulk don't remember and cut out squares i replace them ones every 3 days and it filters out some of the finer particles

My tank is a 32G "chinese knockoff" of IM Cube. So, I use "Innovative Marine 200 Micron Water Polishing Filter Sock - Midsize".
It fits perfectly and does a great job of filtering. I replace out every 2-3 days. Turn them inside-out and soak in H202.

Since doing this, I never have ugly algae breakouts.

I ditched filter pads long time ago. I felt like they did more harm than good imo.

My tank is a 32G "chinese knockoff" of IM Cube. So, I use "Innovative Marine 200 Micron Water Polishing Filter Sock - Midsize".
It fits perfectly and does a great job of filtering. I replace out every 2-3 days. Turn them inside-out and soak in H202.

Since doing this, I never have ugly algae breakouts.

I ditched filter pads long time ago. I felt like they did more harm than good imo.

Umm......

filter floss/pads and filter socks are still the exact same thing, mechanical filtration that catches large particulate. You not seeing any algae is more of a product of cleaner water(changing socks before the particulate gets a chance to break down), then changing from filter floss/pads to socks.

I personally haven't used mechanical filtration in a couple years now, and my tank has never been healthier. I believe Triton is on to something with their method and not using any mechanical filtration. Every building block in the food chain needs to be fed, and leaving large or even small particulate floating in the water feeds everything.

Back