BakPak Airstone Mod Works 10X Better!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigben

Premium Member
Hi,

After many recommendations, I did the bakpak airstone mod with a Tetra Luft Pump. It's now pulling about a cupful of gunk per hour!! I also added a nice big bag of carbon to the bakpak. The tank is now about 1/3 more clear than it was before, although I still can't see to the other end. I think I'm gonna do about a 25% water change for the next several day...Thanks for the help everyone!!

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

You'll want to play with the air adjustment to darken up the skimmate somewhat...Also watch the SG of the tank for the next few days...The carbon should be removed after a few days, since its dessicant qualities will have exhausted...If desired, it can be replaced with more carbon, or run with the airstone alone...Just some thoughts...jim

Can you describe the modification again? I know I saw it recently but I forget exactly where. I replaced my Bakpak II with a Turbo 1000, but I have another tank that could use the Bakpak if I can get more performance out of it. Thanks.

Can you describe the modification again? I know I saw it recently but I forget exactly where. I replaced my Bakpak II with a Turbo 1000, but I have another tank that could use the Bakpak if I can get more performance out of it. Thanks.

Ewan,

That sounds great!! The supposed "bubble trap/prefilter" on mine doesn't work at all. CPR fed me some bull about it, so as soon as you can (with Larry's help), post the info!! I'd be forever grateful!! Also, it doesn't look like the "skimmate" isn't any more concentrated than the beautiful olive green tankwater. I guess I'm gonna do like a 50% water change or something, cause the skimming aint cuttin' the mustard...Any thoughts? Thanks again everyone,

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

Hi Everyone,

Thanks Bigben for posting this and Ewan for the great drawing. I had tried this mod before with a normal airstone but I think it was too corse because the bubbles were too large. So after seeing this post today I tried it with a small wooden airstone. :)It is producing an extreme amount of small bubbles inside the skimmer and I may have to cutback on the venturi. BTW, I am using an old Whisper 300 airpump and would guess that a better pump would help even more. I do notice a few bubble going into the tank but not a lot.

Also, I used the handle of a glass cleaner/scraper to fish the airstone into the backpac.

Thanks again. :cool:

Doug

------------------
Doug's Reef and Fish Page

Hey, I just wanted to take this time to thank everyone for their continued support for the last couple of weeks since I joined this board. It seems that the people on this board are far more considerate and willing to go the extra mile for others to learn, as compared to the other board I'm a member of. I feel "at home" here with yall. Thanks again!!

Ben

------------------
"Bake 'em away, toys."

--Police Chief Wigham

It's the tetra luft pump that does it!

It makes it easy to fine-tune (rheostat) and it's simply the best pump for running a skimmer. I have talked to people that have removed the venturi portion of the Rio after applying the airstone mod.

Next up: completely eliminating bubbles from the return of the Bak Pak II. I have finally figured out a method that works. Hopefully Larry will donate some more space once I get the html done.

keep on friggin'

E.

Doug,
If you overdrive a wood diffuser, the bubble size will increase. If its working well ...
If you find the wood diffusers a pain, try a 4" ceramic diffuser. I believe Reta made them. I used a pair of 6" on my big
skimmer
and hardly ever had to clean them.

On a tall skimmer, you definitely need a pump with high pressure. I used the Luff on my 3'
skimmer.

Hope this helps;

DougL

------------------
Email: doug.lockwood@ameritech.com
Home email: douglxyzzy@netscape.net

Homepage sites.netscape.net/douglxyzzy/homepage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back