Balling method or 2 part?

fishkeeprian

Hello I’m currently dosing ATI Essentials Which is a two part plus trace elements.

I’m think about moving away from ati because of the water change issue, my tank is struggling at the moment and have always relied on water changes to bring it back into balance.

Ati is keeping my parameters stable but something is going on. The problem is it’s not recommended to do large water changes because of the potential of over dosing tank on trace elements.

I’m thinking of dosing two part product with no trace elements and rely on weekly water changes to replenish trace elements.

Maybe do four 50 litre water changes which will replace all my water so it basically resets my tank?

Is Redsea foundation a and classed as two part only with no traces or do they contain all the trace elements?

Am I on the right lines or keep with what I’m doing and just introduce waterchanges?

I am lost.

Help really needed to get back on track, fulling out of love with my tank. Thanks

Last edited:
I don't know how it's possible for water changes to cause overdoses of trace elements. That doesn't make any sense.

Two parts and the Balling method should be about equivalent, and I'd continue water changes whichever method I chose. I am not sure what's happening in your tank, but I am very skeptical that switching to a Balling product will help unless the ATI product has problems, in which case a reasonable two-part should help.

I don't know how it's possible for water changes to cause overdoses of trace elements. That doesn't make any sense.

Two parts and the Balling method should be about equivalent, and I'd continue water changes whichever method I chose. I am not sure what's happening in your tank, but I am very skeptical that switching to a Balling product will help unless the ATI product has problems, in which case a reasonable two-part should help.

I would like to get back to waterchanges so what should I be looking at water change schedule wise?

We all know constant water changes by automation is supposed to be best.
Without the necessary tools I do a weekly water change. I can accomplish this in less time than doing it monthly & keep parameters in better relationship.

If you tank is having trouble, then I might try 3-4 10-15% changes. The four 50 L changes you mentioned might be about right, then. After that, 10-15% once or twice a month should be plenty, depending on what's going on in the tank.

Back