Bare Bottom clean up crew

Am I wrong in saying that if you do a TRUE BB tank, you would"nt need a cleaner crew? BB means high flow so no detrious gets a chance to sit in one spot . Also to have a large skimmer to remove detrious before they break down. The skimmer should remove (Well) anything that can cause algea except light. Or am I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffff?

I have BB and I made a mistake by adding sand box for my clams...

Well the debris always going to be there so you need to siphon it out, I don't think any clean up crew would help.

I got 4 x tunze 6100 at each top corners, plus 4 x koralia model 4 at the back pushing the debris out.

I found that once I got rid of the sand blowing around, corraline algae began flaking off and collecting.

A few tuxedo urchins have solved that problem and think are a key part of the BB "clean up crew".

BTW thanks for the replys i was dealing with a little hair algae but after adding two tangs its slowly going away. i think it may be part of the new tank thing as well. i used 100 lbs of live rock along with 125 lbs of base rock

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10435670#post10435670 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by pito
Am I wrong in saying that if you do a TRUE BB tank, you would"nt need a cleaner crew? BB means high flow so no detrious gets a chance to sit in one spot . Also to have a large skimmer to remove detrious before they break down. The skimmer should remove (Well) anything that can cause algea except light. Or am I waaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ooooooooooooooffffffffffffffffffff?
Whoa. Are you saying that you don’t ever have to do algae wipes?
Snails, blennies, and serpent stars are the norm for BB tanks. BB tanks aren't always high flow.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=10436988#post10436988 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by lvreefer
Whoa. Are you saying that you don’t ever have to do algae wipes?
Snails, blennies, and serpent stars are the norm for BB tanks. BB tanks aren't always high flow.

No thats not what I am saying. I assume that when you say algea wipes, you mean cleaning the glass. If so, you have to do that anyway. With or without cleaners.

Pito: the same algae that grows on the front glass in a weeks time will also grow on your bottom, back glass, overflow, rocks, etc. The astreas help deal with that. The ceriths then help deal with that algae and the poop from the astreas that might settle in some places.

I use astreas and a longspine urchin. The urchin eats corraline algae for me and helps keep my rocks clean and porous

Back