Barrier reef damage exaggerated?

Well I guess the way to control methane is control the human population, but no one wants to hear or do that in this country. And although I do love my fellow Americans, I wish they would stop moving to Texas, we are already busting at the seams. Darn Ex-Governor Perry and his big mouth.

Controlling our beef and dairy consumption would probably do more good than population control. Cow farts and burps should be next on the hit list after the digging up, transporting and burning fossil fuels much to my Argentine asado loving dismay.

I think our perhaps blinkered focus on fossil fuels comes from the concerted and unethical campaign of the coal and petroleum industries against the science. As has been rightly pointed out, farming and logging (clearing) are also areas of real concern.

Last edited:
Controlling our beef and dairy consumption would probably do more good than population control. Cow farts and burps should be next on the hit list after the digging up, transporting and burning fossil fuels much to my Argentine asado loving dismay.

I think our perhaps blinkered focus on fossil fuels comes from the concerted and unethical campaign of the coal and petroleum industries against the science. As has been rightly pointed out, farming and logging (clearing) are also areas of real concern.

And what do you suggest we eat more vegi's? Oh yea the equipment that plants and harvest vegi's runs on diesel or do you suggest farmers go back to using mules? Oh darn that would produce more methane.

And what do you suggest we eat more vegi's? Oh yea the equipment that plants and harvest vegi's runs on diesel or do you suggest farmers go back to using mules? Oh darn that would produce more methane.
Beans, which are a good alternative source of proteins, use considerably less resources per calorie produced than any meat product.

You cannot reduce your environmental footprint to zero, but you can do everything in your power to reduce it if you choose to.

Personally I am not vegetarian, but do use a lot less meat than I used to. It helps that I happen to like a lot of vegetarian or near vegetarian meals.

I don't see it as a case of go back to the dark ages vs climate apocalypse. We know that cows for example produce an inordinate amount of methane. Much more than say, the equivalent weight in chickens. There are alternatives which will make a difference that won't turn us in to vegan cave-men. Ihope at least because I loves me darn meat.

On the population topic, it's interesting that in Europe broadly, populations are falling or holding steady. Economists have the view that this is a natural market correction. People are waiting longer to have kids because they can and they prioritise career and it doesn't make economic sense for individuals to have 5 kids any more. They theorise that this will happen in all developed economies.

If you compare the consumption of fossil fuels with the CO2 levels over the time it was measured and recorded you will have to be willfully blind to not see the connection.
But CO2 is only one of the greenhouse gasses and not even the worst. Methane is actually several times worse. The main source of that are among other (mostly also man-made factors) the one billion cows (and sheep as well) worldwide we keep for milk, steaks and hamburgers.
If you then also factor in the past and ongoing deforestation the human involvement becomes quite clear.

The current global warming is clearly man made. And if you doubt that there is even warming going on, just ask someone living in Alaska for long enough.

Furthermore, the rate of warming doesn't really allow any other conclusion than humans as cause.
All warming periods of the past were rather slow and gradual over thousands of years.

It's the denial and "skepticism" that's the scheme and not the climate science.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Plus the potential for additional "massive" methane releases from defrosting and rotting of tundra permafrost, and the release of under-ocean methane due to ocean heating.

Back