Basement Sump Stand Build

NickReef17

Hi everyone, so basically my issue was that the sump just would not fit comfortably in my tanks stand, it was a very tight fit and was not easy to maintain, especially when the water level was low from evaporation. I realized that i could run the plumbing into my basement onto a stand for the sump. So here's my build since i found it pretty cool other people documenting their builds!

As you can see, it was not fun having the sump on the outside of the stand.
1i26h2.jpg

Obvious to see it was a tight fit

5duul2.jpg

Went into the basement and found where it would meet

2aj9j8.jpg

Started to drill holes (took awhile)

2efuihs.jpg

the initial frame build with 2x4s

213g2gw.jpg

Added a top to it and painted it black

24qkgba.jpg

And shes done! all for about 40 bucks. Wonderful idea! A silent tank now! everyone should do this if they can!

2le01gg.jpg

Sorry for the large pics! thanks for stopping by!

Looks great, but one little problem that I can see. There is no real support for the top 2x4's that are actually bearing the weight of the tank. You need to add at least one 2x4 at each corner that sits between the top and bottom frames so that the tank is supported all the way to the ground. You will also want to add some sort of bracing to prevent the whole stand from racking (twisting).

Glue and screws! NOT Drywall screws either!!!

Looks great, but one little problem that I can see. There is no real support for the top 2x4's that are actually bearing the weight of the tank. You need to add at least one 2x4 at each corner that sits between the top and bottom frames so that the tank is supported all the way to the ground. You will also want to add some sort of bracing to prevent the whole stand from racking (twisting).

Glue and screws! NOT Drywall screws either!!!

Everyone on here will tell you to run vertical supports directly between below the top supports so that the forces are not transferred to the screws and glue, but directly to the vertical 2x4s. The way you constructed this makes correcting this issue easy. Just add 4 vertical supports in place so that all 4 main top boards will be sitting on top of the vertical support. I hope this is clear. I would try to actually wedge them in as well. You can finish the four boards before you add them so they match the stand.

I will also note that everyone on this forum SERIOUSLY overbuilds their stands, myself included. Your sump looks pretty small so what you have is probably fine. Then again, I prefer the safety factor of an overbuilt stand and it's not a lot of work to modify yours as suggested above.

Edit: Check out the first picture in this thread. It shows what I mean.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1169964

Last edited:
Back