Basic Quarantine FAQ's

Thank you for the response lagatbezan. I used a natural product that was reef friendly as I have some frags in there. I was also advised to lower my salinity to 1.020 as the ICH will have a tough time surviving that with a 100% water change.

Do you think that would make a difference in the wait time or is just simply waiting it out my best option?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

Thank you for the response lagatbezan. I used a natural product that was reef friendly as I have some frags in there. I was also advised to lower my salinity to 1.020 as the ICH will have a tough time surviving that with a 100% water change.

Do you think that would make a difference in the wait time or is just simply waiting it out my best option?

Thanks!:thumbsup:

As far as I know there are no "Reef Safe" product that will eradicate ich from your display tank successfully. Also Ich will have no issue surviving in 1.020 salinity. It would need to be at 1.009 for at least 2-3 weeks to eradicate it, but at that level it will also kill all your corals, invets and good bacteria.
Some great reading here if you have not read it yet:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1992196

Q: What equipment do I need to setup a QT?
A:
Tank
Heater
Powerhead(s)
Thermometer
Ammonia Alert Indicator and/or Nitrate & Nitrite test kits
PVC pipe segments or other hiding places for fish
Live Rock (optional)
Light (optional for fish-only)
Skimmer (optional)
HOB Filter (optional)

I add a grounding probe

I still use a HOB filter. If you happen to treat with a medication, most are gentle enough to not hurt the biological filtration. Tank, heater, something for flow, ammonia alert badge, shouldn't need nitrite or nitrate test kits. A skimmer would be useless if you are to treat because it would need to go offline. I feel a light is a must so you can visually inspect the fish multiple times throughout the day. Live Rock is fine for certain fish to help them adjust but definitely not needed.

My QT is 10gal and I got this $2 power head the prop is the size of a quarter & it seems a bit much there will be the PVC fittings for cover do you run them the whole time? The HOB moves the water somewhat how much do we really need? This is my first QT hope to buy a fish soon!

wow, $2 powerhead? and its strong and actually works?
you just want to make sure that there is sufficient water movement within the qt that will allow for gas exchange. doesn't have to be drastic, just that there is some flow that the fish feel comfortable in as well.

So I'll be quarantining my first delivery of invertebrates (a shrimp and a dozen snails). I've QT my fish thus far and want to follow suite but in truth I'm not sure what I should look for that would be any indication of disease...

Also what duration is generally recommended for these? Same as fish? Half or dbl?

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I also intrestno should I quarantine all fish. I myself am a fisherman. I am waiting for answers on your forum. Thanks to all!

Back