BBC/Barrier Reef

mike owen

In Memoriam
I am amazed at how we worry about the things above the water and are so careless below the surface. China should be banned forever from going near the Great Barrier Reef.

This is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. It wasn't any particular government that was responsible for this. It was a private shipping company. So, should the US not be allowed near Valdeze, which by the way, is part of the US, since an Exxon ship destroyed it?

Not Capitalism

Not Capitalism

"Shenzhen Energy Group has continuously been awarded the honorable titles of the "Outstanding enterprise", "Advanced party committee" and "Law-abiding large taxpayer" by Guangdong Province and Shenzhen City many years; it is appraised by Guangdong provincial committee and provincial government as the provincial advanced grass-roots party organization, provincial ideological and political work advanced unit and provincial civilized unit; the results of management has been awarded first prize of the outstanding achievements of national modern enterprise management; in the in-depth reforms, the advanced experiences to strengthen and improve the Party construction work is printed and issued by CPC Central Committee Organization Ministry as Organization Ministry Notice [2001] No. 25 for National Party organizations at all levels. The group presently ranks the first among the overall strength of Shenzhen municipal state-owned enterprises, it has been listed for 6 consecutive years as top 500 among national industrial enterprises, and become the leading enterprise of the industry in Guangdong province." This company is not of free operating autonomy.
www.sec.com.cn/en/about/index.aspx?ModuleNo=080102

Last edited:
I'm not sure that the cut and paste you provided does show it as a "state owned" entity. "Law abiding large tax payer," doesn't sound like a government agency. Other articles have called the shipping company a joint China/Japanese company. Either way, RC is not the place for a political statement or debate. Bringing politics into a thread is one of the quickest ways to get the thread closed, and possibly yourself in a bit of trouble. Please don't PM me your political rants anymore either.

In that regard, the U.S. should never be allowed to drill for oil anywhere or operate a ship in the ocean because accidents have happened that damage the environment. Except that someone else will just operate those drills or do that shipping jobs and continue to have accidents.

You fine appropriately and change rules where necessary but you definetly can't blame a nation of a billion plus people for an incompetent ship's captain getting lost.

I will admit, when I heard of this I was enraged at China. But then reading this thread made me cool off some and realize the fault lies with the company, not the nation. IMO the navigator/s and captain should never be allowed to sail a ship ever again. But then again, apparently the captain was asleep at the time and it was his FO that was on duty I believe.

I will admit, when I heard of this I was enraged at China. But then reading this thread made me cool off some and realize the fault lies with the company, not the nation. IMO the navigator/s and captain should never be allowed to sail a ship ever again. But then again, apparently the captain was asleep at the time and it was his FO that was on duty I believe.

The captain is always responsible for the heading and positioning of the ship. It would have been him to approve the shortcut that caused this.

The captain is always responsible for the heading and positioning of the ship. It would have been him to approve the shortcut that caused this.

Assuming that the Chinese sailors do things the same way as us, China does do a lot of underhanded things, especially in business that are kept out of the public eye.

Or, if they do follow that rule (I admit I do not know) maybe his FO didn't obey it?

I am not sure china itself is to blame, but the organization was definitely dependant and perhaps even integrated with the government. In the end we just need to find better sources of energy than polluting fossil fuels. I like the way that the UK is going with the high oil taxes.

Concerned

Back