Berlin Classic Protein Skimmer Help

xpirtdesign

I just picked up a full tank setup with live rock and a sump. It came with a Berlin Classic Skimmer.

Everything is up and running well but im not sure the protein skimmer is working right. Theres lots of bubbles but the bubbles do not reach the 2nd chamber. When it gets to the top of the first chamber, it gurgles and the water column sinks down, then back up again, then down again. Im getting gurgling about every 10-15 seconds. Its a RIO 2100 pump (recirculating setup) powering the skimmer.

I've tried adjusting the air flow knob and the pump - skimmer flow valve with no luck.

I'm all out of answers and this is really frustrating. The tank has been active for a few hours now.

Also, there are alot of micro bubbles comming into my display area because of this.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

I believe I might have your answer right here. There is either too much water going into the skimmer and or you are not able to get the water out of your skimmer quickly enough. When I was messing around with my Berlin XL that I shortened to fit under my tank I ran into the same problem after I monkeyed around with the set up. If you do not already have it set up this way you need both return lines going straight down back into the sump with as few turns as possible. If you have the returns consolidated into one line as I did you will have the problem that you do now. If you are able to take a picture I might be able to know exactly what you are talking about. But I understand where you are coming from and how frustrated you must be as you stare at the contraption wishing that harsh words and large amounts of contemptment would fix any problem.

actually, the skimmer just needed time to dial in. after about 2 days the skimmer started working perfectly. its now producing nasty skimmate and there's no gurgling or any other problems. this is actually a very nice skimmer, though i havent used other kinds before. its doing its job though.

Back