Best Equipment for Coral Propagation Facility

MaryHM

I have been out of the aquarium industry for over 15 years. I used to operate a wholesale facility in Los Angeles, but have since moved to Panama. I am attempting to help a coral reef restoration project in Bocas del Toro (Caribbean). Due to ocean water temperatures being over 90 degrees at this point, they are having to switch from an open ocean system to a closed system to control the temperature for their corals that are being grown to stock artificial reef structures. Long story short, they now require equipment that is needed when maintaining a closed system. It's been so long since I've maintained closed systems for coral propagation that I know technology has made huge strides. I don't want to give them my outdated suggestions, so I ask for help in the following areas:

1. The best pH test that is easy to use and accurate.
2. The best pH buffering products- their pH now is running around 7.5, so this is critical. Their system is around 3000 gallons.
3. The best nitrate test.
4. Name of a supplier for commercial sized protein skimmers or a source for DIY plans for a large skimmer.

Keep in mind that nothing can be obtained in Panama- everything will have to be imported. It's important to try to keep costs reasonable while maintaining the highest quality possible. Thanks in advance for your help.

Back