Best Florida Live rock?

In large and long quantities they can be repulsive lol just thinking of reaching blindly into the tank and feeling one is bleh. But mine definitely helped eat a dead snail the other day so I appreciate them.
lol, I guess I can respect that. I can't tell you how many times in my 37 years in the hobby I've been rearranging rock only to pull my hand out of the tank and have a finger or more full of bristles :ROFLMAO:
There’s a group that strive for, I guess you could say a “pure” tank of nothing in it unless they add it. And many catch the bristles eating that dead or dying coral, snail, etc and think they caused that death. I still enjoy them in my tank. I don’t see them unless at night
Ah, didn't realize that was a trend. I'm more of the school of thought that the more diversity in a tank, the better.

I'm one fo rdiversity also, especially after reading how important cryptic sponges as well as some of the other organisms are to maintaining healthy ecosystems. But I'v eonly used Gulf Live Rock so can't offer any advice on the differences between them and Tampa Bay and KP Aquatics other than I've seen very positive reviews from other aquarists. A couple of the pleasant surprises are blushing star corals and rose corals.

Are bristleworms considered bad now? I remember them being considered bad, then considered great detritivores. I was under the impression they’re still good. I encourage them in my tank.
great detrivores, but can get a little out of control if allowed to multiply too much.
1687960595503.png

In 2001, 2002 or 2004, I brought back purchased rock from Florida. Basically right off the Boat. Used Big Bubbles Battery Pumps. Took two day’s drive back to Maryland. Quarantined it in my Basement Areaway. I still have that rock today, it’s never been out of the water. During the Quarantine I did Freshwater dips, and used discard water from my Display for water changes. If you want to reduce Bristle Worms, get a Neon Dottyback.

I was picking bristle worms out of a filter sock and returning them to the tank yesterday.
Keep them from multiplying? Bristle worm birth control pills? How.
I enjoy watching them as much as all the other things alive in my tank. Sinking food pellets at night with a flashlight.

Haven’t looked at my tank after lights off for a long time. Decided, since I have the day off, to check it out before the lights came on.

Apparently, I have hundreds of Chitons thanks to my KP live rock.

Attachments

• IMG_4983.jpeg
    IMG_4983.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Back