Dry Rock vs Live Rock

Suji

Anyone used aquaforest dry rock only barebottom tank? I did and its been 3 years start was really tough had dinos, cyano etc. I think the lack of biodiversity makes it really tough, the only pro is that till this day I dose phosphate and nitrate so no algae issues but when something pops up it takes over because lack of biodiversity. Has your experience been similar with dry rock only? Back in the days when I had live rock from the ocean it was so easy no issues whatsoever but obviously hitchhikers but that is nothing compared to these issues. Starting a 2nd tank and looking for opinion, TIA

Attachments

• IMG_6181.jpeg
    IMG_6181.jpeg
    29 KB · Views: 4
I've not used AF rock and don't personally know anyone who has. Back in the days when Fiji, Tonga and Marshall Island rock were available, I used those exclusively to start my tanks.

Today, I use a mix of base rock that I got from the (now closed) Reef Rocks with aquacultured live rock. I have a mix of KP Aquatics live rock and some (pretty old) Hatian live rock.

From what I've heard, you really can't got wrong with Tampa Bay Saltwater, KP Aquatics or Gulf Live rock. All three have really good biodiversity.

Australian live rock is also available that has very good reviews but is a bit pricy at $25 per pound.

Another alternative to add biodiversity is to add pods, clean-up crews, bristleworms, etc. to your tank from various sources. IPSF is a good place to get a good mix.

I've gotten Bristleworms from Sustainable Aquatics to replenish my clean-up crew.

Anyone used aquaforest dry rock only barebottom tank? I did and its been 3 years start was really tough had dinos, cyano etc. I think the lack of biodiversity makes it really tough, the only pro is that till this day I dose phosphate and nitrate so no algae issues but when something pops up it takes over because lack of biodiversity. Has your experience been similar with dry rock only? Back in the days when I had live rock from the ocean it was so easy no issues whatsoever but obviously hitchhikers but that is nothing compared to these issues. Starting a 2nd tank and looking for opinion, TIA
100%

If you can get some live rock for your second tank definitely do it. @griss @JohnL @reefing102 can advise on good sources if you are in the U.S.

Other options to help your current tank could be to add some live rock, try bacterial additives - the PNS varieties look interesting to me, or some possibly snake-oil like Reefbrite live rock enhance ( I know @melev likes it), even adding some live pods might be helpful.

100%

If you can get some live rock for your second tank definitely do it. @griss @JohnL @reefing102 can advise on good sources if you are in the U.S.

Other options to help your current tank could be to add some live rock, try bacterial additives - the PNS varieties look interesting to me, or some possibly snake-oil like Reefbrite live rock enhance ( I know @melev likes it), even adding some live pods might be helpful.
Yep, we were typing at the same time ;)

Im in Canada so need to rely on LFS to take one of their rocks thats been in their tank for years hopefully they will say ok I just need 1 rock lol.

I have started a 240 where I went 50% TBS live and 50% caribSea Life rock
it went fine

I started a 75 with Marco rock attached to the running system and it was the waves of stuff you don't want.
It did straiten up eventually.

I would look hard for someone quitting that had good rock to sell. I bought used rock to start the 180 and it went fine.

Agree with @griss, definitely not bad. I only brought up Walt smith as that was the only aquacultured rock I could think of from Fiji. Last I knew wild rock collection is banned but aquacultured is still okay to be collected.

Agree with @griss, definitely not bad. I only brought up Walt smith as that was the only aquacultured rock I could think of from Fiji. Last I knew wild rock collection is banned but aquacultured is still okay to be collected.
I believe @Nanook may have gotten some of the very last boxes of Fiji wild rock before they stopped collecting it.

Back