Best GFO or similar PO4 absorbing deal now?

miserkris

Hi , Whats the best GFO or similar PO4 absorbing media ...deal now?

Is Rowa better $ wise than BRS gfo?

My DT is 160g vol.....

Thx

Really the blue life phosphate control is my go-to now. Just mind your dosing, you can strip enough phosphate from your system to endanger your inhabitants with the flick of a wrist.

Seaklear is prolly the best overall since a couple drops is all that's needed! A bottle would last a lifetime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow I'm amazed.
This blue life, sea clear e.t.c these are liquid dosing.... right?

With gfo , rowa... phosphates bind to the media that's thrown out after few days.

How do these liquid po4 removers work?

What happens to the po4 and are there any side effects to the DT and inhabitants?

I wanna know what happens to po4 in the chemical reaction does it turn into another compound that's evaporated or skimmed?

How often do i add approx in a 160g sw vol with 0.11ppm po4 level to bring it down half, like to 0.05 ppm?

Pls advice!

These liquids are way more cost effective than expensive gfo....

Also i dose vodka too about 4ml a day, can i dose vodka along with this?

THANKS!

The liquid additives are all Lanthanum Chloride. It will precipitate the Phosphate out of the water and that precipitate is then removed by your skimmer. I have personally used Continuum Aquatics Phos Correx in my mixed reef with no issues. I believe all the well known products work pretty much exactly the same way and are reef safe.

Make sure however you are clear what you are trying to achieve as with these products it is very easy to strip all Phosphate out and cause more problems. Corals need some Phosphate to live. You can also easily cause a P/N imbalance and have Cyano problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thx all. Been reading a lot about this.
Then why do people waste time, $ and energy in gfo is surprising!

I'm gonna stop gfo when this batch runs out in a month. I've been dousing vodka for a month, 4 ml daily into my 160g sw volume.

Can i still dose this vodka without increasing and do minimal phosphate rx... at the same time?

I don't see any reason why not,
I'll reduce both when i see 0.05 ppm...

Pls advice thx

The liquid additives are all Lanthanum Chloride. It will precipitate the Phosphate out of the water and that precipitate is then removed by your skimmer. I have personally used Continuum Aquatics Phos Correx in my mixed reef with no issues. I believe all the well known products work pretty much exactly the same way and are reef safe.

Make sure however you are clear what you are trying to achieve as with these products it is very easy to strip all Phosphate out and cause more problems. Corals need some Phosphate to live. You can also easily cause a P/N imbalance and have Cyano problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Thanks, I'm always learning things here [emoji16]. I did not know about the imbalance, but now that you say that it makes sense. I'll occasionally get some cyano after dosing lanthanum (phosphate rx). So would higher nitrates and low phosphates promote cyano growth?

And like Tastee said you have to be really careful with this stuff. It's not forgiving at all, which is why most use gfo.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I've read that high nitrates with low phosphates can damage corals over the long term. There are some reports that the precipitate caused by lanthanum chloride can affect tangs. My mushroom corals didn't like PhosGuard when I tried that (aluminum oxide.)

I use Aquamaxx GFO, replaced monthly. I tried both BRS ones, and while I can't imagine there is much difference, the Aquamaxx seemed to work better.

Back