IM SR Pro 2 120 AIO Aquarium New Build

PVsReef

Hi all, Haven't had a large tank in years and and just upgraded my nano to a IM 120 AIO tank set up. The tech has change so much since I had a large tank.
A couple of questions about this set up.
1. My options for Skimmers are limited but is there a way to have a skimmer in my stand?
2. On my Nano, Which I know is different I did not have a skimmer, I did water changes every two week and everything grow great. If I change 25gl of water every two week would I need a skimmer? Or is there some now tech I dont know about that might work. ex an algae scrubber and or reactors?
2. Is it better to go with two filter socks, one on each side, and reactors for Carbin, GFO, and Bio? Im using two caddy's with Chemi-Pure Blue, Marine Pure Biofilter Media Gems in each.
3. What should I do with water flow. Right now I have a gyre 4k on the far end of my tank that I thought would be enough. But I need something on the other end to get more of the dead spot any recommendations. The tank is 70 inc long and 16 inc high. was ghinking a Nero 3 on the other side.
4. It seems the baffils in the Overflow are useless because I have to keep the water so high to stop the slurping noise. Is there something I can 3D print or laser cut to be able to utilize the baffils? Or it just does not matter.

Does anyone have this tank and can let me know what mods they implemented.

The tank is up and running since December. This is what I did so far.
Overflow Box
IMG_4285.jpeg
Ref for micro algea
IMG_4295.jpegView attachment 32399250IMG_4297.jpeg
Acrylic DYI Caddy
IMG_4969.jpegIMG_4971.jpeg

RODI unitIMG_4288.jpeg
RODI ATO system
IMG_4610.jpeg
Lighting
IMG_4995.jpeg
Wavepump
IMG_5012.jpeg
Tank
IMG_5287.jpeg

Last edited:
First, the tank looks great. Looks like you’re off to a good start. Things have changed over the years and thing have stayed the same😉

1. I don’t know about a skimmer in the stand since you have an AIO system. IMO it would be a plumbing nightmare.

2. A lot of things have changed over the years. Some people run skimmers and some don’t, both successfully. So, it’s really up to you. If you want a skimmer, maybe an HOB style?

2-B. A lot of people are still using fuges. A lot are using algae scrubbers. Some are using cryptic sponge refugiums. Some are using a combination of the three. Again, all seem to work.

3. The currrent trend seems to lean against filter socks for the most part. I only use them when I’m doing maintenance that stirs up a lot of gunk.

4. Another Gyre or the Nero would certainly help if you need more flow. I’m not personally familiar with the Nero’s but have heard good things about them. If you’re on a budget, look into Jebao or Hygger, both a reputable and less pricy than others.

5. Sorry, but I don’t have suggestions for changes/mods to reduce the slurping noise. Despite over 40 years in the hobby, I’ve never owned an AIO.

Lastly, there is no “right” way to do things in this hobby. Experiment and find what works for you. I’ve seen situations over the years where two people set up nearly identical systems and one has tremendous success and the other fails miserably🤷🏻‍♂️

Just keep in mind, nothing good happens fast in this hobby. Take your time, find what works for you and enjoy your little slice of the ocean.

You could look at the tunze comline skimmers and see what fits.

I don't run filter socks, I just vacuum the sump twice a year.

I would go bigger than a nero 3, get a 5 or 7. Having said that my nero 3 just died after 2 yrs and I ordered a jebao MLW 20 to replace it at less than half the cost. Don't have it yet so no opinion on it. I really did like the Nero but 2 years at that price is not ok. I have a Ecotech MP10 that is 10 yrs and still running (one wetside replacement).

Thank you for your help.

The Jebao MLW 20 looks great. I think I will go with that.

I was thinking getting the BRS reactors for Carbin and GFOs or the Bio pellets to put in the stand.

I read about the algae scrubbers and thinking about adding that. I read you can run them and not use a skimmer but like Griss stated not everything works for everyone.

I was thinking to add another white bucket, 25gl like the Ato one. For water changes in the stand.

My ATO I fill with RODI water and I add Kalk to it. I read that it would be better with a Kalk stirrer but just addling it to the ato has worked great in ATO and when I had my larger tank years ago.

The tank is going to be stocked with mostly LPS.

I run the BRS Carbon/GFO reactor. Simple to use but, I haven’t had GFO in it for a while. Another thing that’s changed is we don’t shoot for ZERO Nitrate and Phosphate. Here’s the current recommended water parameters.

Attachments

• IMG_6255.png
    IMG_6255.png
    246.8 KB · Views: 5
I run the BRS Carbon/GFO reactor. Simple to use but, I haven’t had GFO in it for a while. Another thing that’s changed is we don’t shoot for ZERO Nitrate and Phosphate. Here’s the current recommended water parameter
Thanks that I didn't know

Thanks that I didn't know
No problem. What’s funny is a lot of us actually dose Nitrate (I do). Now, I’m thinking about dosing PO4 as well since (according to my Hanna checker) mine has been zero for a month despite feeding fairly heavy.

The Jebao MLW 20 looks great. I think I will go with that.
So I changed my order to 2 x MLW 10 (combined still cheaper than a nero3) because I was thinking the 20 would be too strong for my shallow frag tank of LPS and I'm glad I did. I put 1 in last night and it's really powerful on the lowest setting so I'm not even sure I will be adding the second one like I originally planned. Same cryptic instructions as other Jebao products so really haven't played with the settings yet. I'm impressed with it though. Really wide flow and a broader degree of aiming compaired to the Nero. Definitely a complete rip off of the Nero design.

Back