Best macroalgae for DT?

babyduke

55G FOWLR

I have little bit of chaeto in my fuge. I want to add some macroalgae plants in my DT. What are the best ones to filter the nutrients?

It looks like caulerpa prolifera and sea lettuce(ulva) are the most popular so I'd defintely consider them. But I would like to add some colors. Any blue, yellow or red ones that are effective?

Caulerpa and Ulva are great with high light and high nutrients. The reds like it a little dimmer and grow slower, so they do well with fewer nutrients. Hypnea is blue and does well in medium light. Live-plants.com has the best macros IMO. Their combo-packs might be a good choice.

Any herbivorous fish, like tangs in the FOWLR? If so, it may be an uphill struggle to keep macros. With some experimentation, you may find a plant they don't eat.

Yes. I have red and green moss-like plants. I didn't buy them though. I believe they were live rock hitchhikers. Reefcleaners.org sells a green moss ball they call Chlorodesmis, but I believe it is actually Cladophora.

My personal favourite is maiden's hair algae. Never had any myself, but it's absolutely gorgeous. It's reminiscent of hair algae, except it's actually attractive. I also really like my Caulerpa.

Agreed, maiden's hair (or turtle weed) is gorgeous. I have some now, but I have not had much luck with it. It came on a rock that I've tried transplanting from without success. It does not like being pulled off the rock. Not much of it left unfortunately. Also unfortunately, the rock brought in some yucky brown and red cotton candy algae that I've been battling ever since.

Back