40g macroalgae & soft coral lagoon

laguna-madre

introduction (10/28/23):
hey everyone 👋 I wanted to share my progress on transferring my current 29g macroalgae tank to a newly empty 40 gallon breeder. I'm excited to do this because I feel like I will be able to keep so many more macros in the 40 than in the 29. The 29g is challenging to aquascape because of its odd vertical and skinny dimensions.

I've been in the hobby for years and used to work as an aquarium maintenance tech in Dallas. I'd be happy to trade/purchase any rare macroalgae from anyone in the area. I've personally kept and set up freshwater planted tanks, nano reefs, and a few macroalgae tanks (I like to call them lagoons). I was a bit torn between setting this new 40g as a legit coral-dominant reef tank, but I think I will stick to my lagoon and keep macros and a few soft corals. I really like that these kinds of tanks are low maintenance but still look great and colorful. Plus the macros help keep the water clean.

substrate choice: adding crushed coral with sand?
I wanted to do a small layer of some sort of miracle mud at the bottom before adding the aragonite sand, but that stuff is so expensive I decided to just stick with sand. I did want to experiment with mixing substrates though. I bought some Caribsea crushed coral aragonite. It looks like this:
210895-caribsea-sand-dry-special-grade.jpg

I've read some forums posts just now encouraging people NOT to mix sand and crushed coral... They say it the sand will eventually settle below the CC... I have an active pistol shrimp, so I'm wondering if that won't be an issue due to the constant mixing of the substrate. I'm still contemplating mixing them just to have some more variety to the sandbed. I wish the CC had those little red Tubipora (red pipe organ coral) pieces in it!

Here's a few photos of the 29g from various stages:

Right after set-up in Spring 2021:
IMG_20220812_135515a.jpg

After some growth! I was lucky that some hobbyists in the DFW area offered me some various macros to get the tank started right (y)
20220117_140401-a.jpg

After moving it downstairs:
20220624_214000.jpg

After moving to a new city.
20230826_140900a.jpg

Unfortunately I lost my firefish and bangai cardinalfish that I've had since I set the tank up originally over 2 years ago... My buddy that helped me move the tank was too zealous and transferred the fish into the tank after setting it up. The temp of the water was too cold and they instantly got shocked and died pretty much instantly. It was pretty tough to see that when they were still perfectly fine in the containers before that.. Anyways... Oh and I got a rose bubble tip anemone from Aquashella, which ended up eating my cleaner shrimp. I also let the Caulerpa grow so much it shaded out the dragon's breath, which has completely vanished. I regret giving so dragons breath away when it grew prolifically!

Since then, one of my two LED bars went out, and instead of replacing it I figured I'd wait to transfer to the 40g. The 29 has gone a little downhill and started growing some cyanobacteria for the first time...

I'll post more pics of it soon.

Very cool! It reminds me of how "Dutch Mini Reefs" and other styles of reef keeping from 40 years ago featured macro prominently. I always thought it could be just as enchanting as an sps tank.

introduction (10/28/23):
hey everyone 👋 I wanted to share my progress on transferring my current 29g macroalgae tank to a newly empty 40 gallon breeder. I'm excited to do this because I feel like I will be able to keep so many more macros in the 40 than in the 29. The 29g is challenging to aquascape because of its odd vertical and skinny dimensions.

I've been in the hobby for years and used to work as an aquarium maintenance tech in Dallas. I'd be happy to trade/purchase any rare macroalgae from anyone in the area. I've personally kept and set up freshwater planted tanks, nano reefs, and a few macroalgae tanks (I like to call them lagoons). I was a bit torn between setting this new 40g as a legit coral-dominant reef tank, but I think I will stick to my lagoon and keep macros and a few soft corals. I really like that these kinds of tanks are low maintenance but still look great and colorful. Plus the macros help keep the water clean.

substrate choice: adding crushed coral with sand?
I wanted to do a small layer of some sort of miracle mud at the bottom before adding the aragonite sand, but that stuff is so expensive I decided to just stick with sand. I did want to experiment with mixing substrates though. I bought some Caribsea crushed coral aragonite. It looks like this:
210895-caribsea-sand-dry-special-grade.jpg

I've read some forums posts just now encouraging people NOT to mix sand and crushed coral... They say it the sand will eventually settle below the CC... I have an active pistol shrimp, so I'm wondering if that won't be an issue due to the constant mixing of the substrate. I'm still contemplating mixing them just to have some more variety to the sandbed. I wish the CC had those little red Tubipora (red pipe organ coral) pieces in it!

Here's a few photos of the 29g from various stages:

Right after set-up in Spring 2021:
IMG_20220812_135515a.jpg

After some growth! I was lucky that some hobbyists in the DFW area offered me some various macros to get the tank started right (y)
20220117_140401-a.jpg

After moving it downstairs:
20220624_214000.jpg

After moving to a new city.
20230826_140900a.jpg

Unfortunately I lost my firefish and bangai cardinalfish that I've had since I set the tank up originally over 2 years ago... My buddy that helped me move the tank was too zealous and transferred the fish into the tank after setting it up. The temp of the water was too cold and they instantly got shocked and died pretty much instantly. It was pretty tough to see that when they were still perfectly fine in the containers before that.. Anyways... Oh and I got a rose bubble tip anemone from Aquashella, which ended up eating my cleaner shrimp. I also let the Caulerpa grow so much it shaded out the dragon's breath, which has completely vanished. I regret giving so dragons breath away when it grew prolifically!

Since then, one of my two LED bars went out, and instead of replacing it I figured I'd wait to transfer to the 40g. The 29 has gone a little downhill and started growing some cyanobacteria for the first time...

I'll post more pics of it soon.
Nice. Are you dosing something to keep all those macros happy?

Very cool! It reminds me of how "Dutch Mini Reefs" and other styles of reef keeping from 40 years ago featured macro prominently. I always thought it could be just as enchanting as an sps tank.
Hit the nail on the head. I love the look of this tank. Please keep us updated.

@kfisc do you remember this book? I still have it. Thought you might appreciate these pics from the book based on your post above.

Attachments

• IMG_4655.jpeg
    IMG_4655.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4656.jpeg
    IMG_4656.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_4657.jpeg
    IMG_4657.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Whoa! That's the exact book I was thinking of. I remember my copy came encased in plastic, apparently for reef-side use.
What a coincidence. I still have several of Dr. Emmens books on my shelf.

Looking really good!
Thanks for the feedback! I appreciate it. I'll have to post more pics of the 29 gallon, perhaps in a separate thread than this one. I hadn't heard of the "dutch mini reef" until now, so I'm interested in reading about it and maybe the book y'all posted below! I personally feel that if you can get away with it, keeping macroalgae in the display reef tank is a great way to increase biodiversity, nutrient uptake, and aesthetics. Some macros do require more maintenance than others to control their wild growth though (Caulerpa..)
Nice. Are you dosing something to keep all those macros happy?
For the 29g, I added Seachem Marine Buffer to my top-off freshwater. Other than that, the only dosing was adding a lot of fish food. It seemed to keep the macros growing and the marine buffer helped the rocks develop coralline.

Speaking of, I flipped some of my old live rock pieces for my 40g aquascape, and the sides without coralline are showing and look sterile. I know I should be patient, but I was thinking of using a product to speed up my coralline growth. Has anyone tried out Caribsea Purple Up for example and had good results?

---

Everything has been transferred to the 40g without any incidents (knock on glass..). I'm mostly happy with the aquascape, but it's not perfect. I try to remind myself how it will look after 12 months of growth and new corals/macro filling in the bare areas, but it's hard. I definitely see why people use the artificial liverock, because real liverock doesn't always fit together in nice shapes. I'll post a picture of everything soon, I promise!

Has anyone tried out Caribsea Purple Up for example and had good results?
I have gone through a few bottles over the years. I never thought it did anything and I would put it in the snake-oil category. Best option is to scrape some coraline off and spread it around your tank.

I have gone through a few bottles over the years. I never thought it did anything and I would put it in the snake-oil category. Best option is to scrape some coraline off and spread it around your tank.
Completely agree. I tried it when it first hit the market and didn't see any difference.

hi everyone. I have some updates. I'll try and keep it quick.

the transfer from the 29 to the 40 went well, thank God. I kept the fish and everything in a barrel with an airstone and a heater.

I struggled with the aquascape. I made a pretty good one right away, but then took it apart to think about it for some reason!

the photos of the install progress are on my fiance's phone. my phone had battery issues and I couldn't use it for a few days. I'll update with the progress pics soon, I promise! I also took a bunch of videos; I would really like to try and edit them into a video for YouTube.

Here's the current front take shot:
20231101_184944.jpg

I picked up some coral frags and have them in a breeder box to keep an eye on them, and to help them attach to rubble. I didn't actually want that big of a Hollywood stunner chalice, but the LFS gave it to me basically for free lol.
20231101_191115.jpg

side pic. the water is crystal clear. I have two oversized HOB filters and an airstone powered skimmer. all the corals seem happy.
20231101_191151.jpg

Looking fantastic. My only warning is watch the sweepers on that chalice. Even small frags can have long sweepers.

Wow, the tank is looking great. Like @kfisc I'm really liking the old school Dutch mini-reef look. Your tank actually inspired me to move some Caulerpa from my fuge to the display.

IMG_4035~2.jpg

This was the rockscape I initially settled on. Fairly happy with it. My goal was to design the shape of the stack to look like a number 3 if viewed from above, if that makes and sense. I also didn't want any of the rockwork to be resting against the back glass, which I was able to achieve. None of the rocks are secured with epoxy or glue, but they passed the " wiggle test" as I call it.

IMG_4060~2.jpg

Newly set up saltwater, next to the newly set up freshwater. Best of both worlds! I've always wanted to have a "gallery" wall of different aquatic ecosystems: fw tropical planted, native biotope, macroalgae lagoon, sps reef, etc.

Screenshot_20231103_212829.jpg

Adding all the livestock back in slowly... they were in a heated and aerated barrel for about 24 hours.

IMG_4250~2.jpg

my helper, and a huge fan of saltwater fish! (seriously, it's like she doesn't even see the freshwater fish)

20231102_174206~2.jpg

20231102_174220~2.jpg

latest full tank shots. I did add 10 lbs of new aragonite sand a couple days ago. I think the pistol shrimp will appreciate it. Oh and I think I will return that large orange sponge to the LFS. It's doing okay, but I think it's too large for the tank aquascape and some smaller tree/finger sponges would look better.

Last edited:
Looking fantastic. My only warning is watch the sweepers on that chalice. Even small frags can have long sweepers.
I honestly really didn't want that large chalice piece. I think the LFS was trying to be generous, but it doesn't really fit into the "theme" of macros and softies.
Wow, the tank is looking great. Like @kfisc I'm really liking the old school Dutch mini-reef look. Your tank actually inspired me to move some Caulerpa from my fuge to the display.
Thank you!! I ordered the book you guys were talking about above. It should arrive in a few days. I was disappointed that there wasn't very much information online about the "Dutch mini-reef" style.

Currently, I have the following macros:
  • Caulerpa prolifera (left side of tank)
  • Fern Caulerpa (right side of tank. Most likely C. taxifolia but not 100% sure)
  • Gracillaria hayi (the main red macro)
  • Codium
  • Grape Caulerpa
  • Caulerpa racemosa (and Var. peltata)
  • Caulerpa flexilis
  • Chaeto

I have a number of macros on my "wish list".

Dragons breath (Halymenia durvellei)

Red grape (Botryocladia sp)

Halimeda

Sargassum (from Gulf Coast Ecosystems)

Dictyota.

I'll continue to update this.

Yes, please continue to update.

I think you’re not finding info online about Dutch mini-reef because that was popular in the 80’s and early 90’s before the internet.

Hey Man! I Love this, just to make sure its only the fish food and lights that is keeping this going? No skimmer or anything else? I really want to setup a system like this

Hey Man! I Love this, just to make sure its only the fish food and lights that is keeping this going? No skimmer or anything else? I really want to setup a system like this
awesome, thanks! I actually do have a skimmer -- it's an airstone powered skimmer that sits in one of my HOB filters.

I do add some Seachem marine buffer to my top off water. Other than that, the only "dosing" is whatever is in the fish food. Kinda following the freshwater Walstad method, if you're familiar with that.

Back