Best way to kill and avoid aptasia

There is no best way... but kalkwaser or 3% hydrogen peroxide in a syringe injected into the mouth will often do the trick. Removing the rock and scraping it off... then killing any remaining cells with a torch... or epoxy is a method that some folks use.

There is also a fairly cheap electric zapper that can work sometimes.

Welcome to RC! Best way will vary. If just a couple, kalk paste, peroxide or boiling water injected into them usually works well. Some use Berghia Nudibranch if they have a large infestation (seems very effective but takes longer). There’s also peppermint shrimp, Aiptasia eating filefish, and copperband butterflies. All can be hit or miss.

Best way to detect them is to carefully inspect frags and in my opinion, if you have the space and ability, a coral quarantine where the frags can be observed for a couple weeks.

There is no best way... but kalkwaser or 3% hydrogen peroxide in a syringe injected into the mouth will often do the trick. Removing the rock and scraping it off... then killing any remaining cells with a torch... or epoxy is a method that some folks use.

There is also a fairly cheap electric zapper that can work sometimes.
Sounds good thanks

Currently have been dipping everything prior to introduction to my aquarium. So far it’s staved off aptasia introduction.

I have been using CoralRx without any aptasia introduction to the tank. Either lucky or is killing them with a 10min dip.

Swap out all your infected rocks for new dried rocks.
If you use something like Aiptasia-X, you'll find that you've just multiplied your problem by 100 fold. Why? Because it doesn't guarantee a 100% kill and if you just "really really annoy" an aiptasia, it will spit out 100 babies in revenge.

If you DO you use something like that, follow up your attack by placing a blob of super glue or epoxy putty over the spot that you think you killed the aiptasia to seal it in as best as you can.

Back