Bi Color or Lemon Peel Angel in a reef?

ken6217

I had heard these were hard to keep and "proceed with caution" for a reef tank.

What are your experiences with these fish in your reef tanks?

Thanks,
Ken

Last edited:
I currently have 5 dwarf angels in my reef tanks, so I am not opposed to the concept. However, there are 2 dwarfs that I will never ever attempt in a reef tank again -- bi-color and lemonpeel.

I currently have 5 dwarf angels in my reef tanks, so I am not opposed to the concept. However, there are 2 dwarfs that I will never ever attempt in a reef tank again -- bi-color and lemonpeel.

What problems did you have?

Both nipped at an S. haddoni anemone -- a "carpet" anemone that has one of the strongest stings and it pretty much like velcro. Nipped at any coral -- zoas, SPS, LPS, etc. and clams.

Lemonpeel, Bi Color, and Ebili I won't even bother trying. They seem to have a bit more of an affinity for corals than most of the other dwarf angels.

I'd also like to mention, if you have acans you run a much larger risk of angels and butterflies tearing in to them. They're almost like candy to angels.

I think the most common answer for those two fish is 'neither'. They are both on the more aggressive/likely to eat coral end of the dwarf angel spectrum. There are quite a few better choices.

I have one in my 60 gallon, Bi-color that is. Of course, I only have 2 species of 'Shrooms in there at present, so I cannot vouch for his behavior with hard coral. I had algae issues with my former hard corals, the C. bicolor didn't bother them though.
But I wouldn't EVER trust one in a tank with MEATY LPS corals. Or even expensive SPS corals. This species & the Lemonpeel are just pretty bad for tearing up corals.

Matthew

I have a Bi-colour and Lemonpeel hybrid in my 55 gallon softies tank and no problems for two years...maybe the hybrid is something different or I just got lucky.

The only centropyge that I keep (or would ever keep) in my SPS tank are C. multifaciata, and C. aurantius. And if you keep them, you need to do 3+ of a particular species due to their husbandry in the wild. I've not had any issues with either species doing anything bad to my corals other than the occasional nip to a softie, or zoa.

Back