bicolor blenny is a nipper!

kruxy

i had to move my maxima to a friends tank until i get around to getting a bigger tank myself and go through a tear down. a new bicolor blenny that i got last week has been nipping my clam relentlessly and keeping him from opening. since getting a blenny out of the rocks is as easy as picking up a sherman, there he will stay until i swap out for a bigger tank which will force me to tear apart my rock.

not sure if i just had a blenny that loved the taste of clams, or maybe my clam insulted his mother, but if you have clams you can add the blenny to the list of possibly not clam-safe fish.

:(

there has been other people who seem to have that same problem with there blennies. my lawn mover just hangs out on the side of the clam. i guess it depends on the fish. i have more problems with my tang. keeps swimming over the clams all the time freaking them out.

bicolors seem to be one of the worst in the blenny family. I have been hearing more and more problems with nipping around here. I think you have the right idea waiting to take the tank down to get the blenny out though. Best of luck.

Ryan,

That sucks! I'm glad you have a temporary home for your clam.

I have been wanting to get a pair of these fish to my tank especially after seeing a pair in mojoreefs tank.

He called 1 of them "evil kneivel". This fish would hide in the 3/4" loc-line(when the flow was switched off via MBV) and a minute or 2 later the MBV(=motorised ball valve) kicked in...........BOOM

like a human cannonball! It was the funniest thing I ever saw!
The fish did it about 4 times while I was there.

Back to your topic, there were also many clams in that tank and Mike said he never had a problem(granted his tank is huge and the loc-line keeps him busyLOL)

I recall many others with clams not having problems with bi-colors.

I also heard something about bi-colors coming from different locations too so I don't know.

Hopefully others will chime in.

chewie said:
Ryan,

That sucks! I'm glad you have a temporary home for your clam.

I have been wanting to get a pair of these fish to my tank especially after seeing a pair in mojoreefs tank.

He called 1 of them "evil kneivel". This fish would hide in the 3/4" loc-line(when the flow was switched off via MBV) and a minute or 2 later the MBV(=motorised ball valve) kicked in...........BOOM

like a human cannonball! It was the funniest thing I ever saw!
The fish did it about 4 times while I was there.

ROFL-too-funny!:lol:

Defender of the bicolor blenny

Defender of the bicolor blenny

I have a bicolor blenny the nipped at corals when I put them too close to his home. Once I moved them away, no more problems. He's a model citizen.

55Reef said:
My Bi-Color did. Back to the store he went.
That is my plan this weekend! My bi-color blenny has a small rock that he likes to hide out in (lots of holes in the rock). Hopefully I will just be able to lift it out & remove him in the process. That's how I did it last time my fish got ich 6 months ago. It took all of 60 seconds to remove him. I'm planning on a reapeat!
I'm getting credit for his return & putting it on a LM blenny. LM's have not given me any problems in the past (although, I've only had one previously). They may sit on clams but at least they don't attack them like my bi-color does!

Back