Big Thermos Trade?

I'm not trying to suggest a sale or trade, but I remember a community type swap a year or two ago.

Ok, nevermind.

You know I asked before and appearently it's ok to have a thread here about the logistics of such a swap but not the actual trading part. That would need to get done in the trading forum. But I am very interested in trying to get a thermos swap worked out.

I have traded corals with people many times but not in a big swap where lots of people are sending stuff, hopefully others that have been involved in the past will chime in. Need to figure out some ground rules to keep everything organized and fair for everyone. I always wondered, do you all show some pics of what you have to trade and then draw names or something? The way I understand it you will be sending corals to someone and then receiving them from someone else.

CoralNutz,

Looks like we just missed the trade by a few months.

EDIT:
Did some searching and found a thread in the Trade forum:
First Version:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=515367
Second time:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=634576

Rules

ok, here are the rules that I used on thereeftank for my zoa swap.

1: Upon receiving the shipment you have to notify this thread--and you have 2 days to ship out the thermos, if you can't, just let us know...any delay delays the whole chain.

2: Don't send your ugliest frags--if we all keep faith and try to circulate frags that are actually nice and desireable, none of us will get stingy because "well, I didn't get a nice frag so I'm gonna send out an ugly one too"...this will be *much* more successful if we avoid sending out the uglies.

3: You might pay a little bit more than others based on whoever's sticker you chose (depending on distance), it's your responsibility but it won't be more than a dollar or two...PRIORITY MAIL SHIPPING only (this takes 2-3 days). I am providing the thermos, the box and stickers...all you have to do is put the frag in and tape it up, put the sticker and it'll be kosher. Shipping
is only to be done monday-wednsday.. that wayzoas aren't sitting in the post office all weekend.

If you know who is sending to you and perhaps want to buy a couple of their other zoos and/or shrooms...please go ahead. They're shipping to you anyway--but you will have to send them Paypal if that's the agreement.

Overall I think it will be a really easy and fun experience, and hopefully all of us will get something great.

Minimum of 5 polyps. the polyp maximum is based off of whatever fits in the thermos comfortably for the journey...and no requirement on mounted or unmounted. I find my zoos that are mounted healthiest.

NOTE: Please frag now and give the zoo some time to heal up.

I think the rules rmhuntley posted are pretty good. The one thing I don't like is the chain. I think it would run better if we did it like the last one. Everyone gets paired up with two people, everyone buys two thermoses. You pick a specific day to ship and two days later everyone has two frags.

I think this is better then the chain in the simple fact that one person can hold everyone up. Depending on how many people are involved it could take a month or so to get some frags. I like the quicker way myself.

If no one else chimes in to set this up, I could probably do it.

Last edited:
I really don't dig the whole chain thing... I am envisioning something with like 20+ people and if you all had to wait a few days before moving on, this would take like 2-3 months.

I was thinking something more along the lines of everyone signing up. (Have to have some "desired" zoas, I don't think anyone wants to get some brown sand polyps or something, lol) Hopefully that doesn't sound too snobbish, they don't have to be some true blues or something, but I think everyone wants to be able to have the chance at getting something nice out of the deal. So then after everyone signed up we could have someone draw names to see who ships to who or something. But I would think it best if everyone shipped around the same time, instead of the chain thing. You can get sweet thermos' at Target (or similar store) that fits into a flat rate priority overnight box. So all together everyone is still around the $10 mark for shipping and thermos. Not to bad. Do any of these ideas sound feasable? I would love to hear everyone elses ideas and suggestions but that's just kind of how I envisioned it...

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=6723895#post6723895 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by CoralNutz
I really don't dig the whole chain thing... I am envisioning something with like 20+ people and if you all had to wait a few days before moving on, this would take like 2-3 months.

I was thinking something more along the lines of everyone signing up. (Have to have some "desired" zoas, I don't think anyone wants to get some brown sand polyps or something, lol) Hopefully that doesn't sound too snobbish, they don't have to be some true blues or something, but I think everyone wants to be able to have the chance at getting something nice out of the deal. So then after everyone signed up we could have someone draw names to see who ships to who or something. But I would think it best if everyone shipped around the same time, instead of the chain thing. You can get sweet thermos' at Target (or similar store) that fits into a flat rate priority overnight box. So all together everyone is still around the $10 mark for shipping and thermos. Not to bad. Do any of these ideas sound feasable? I would love to hear everyone elses ideas and suggestions but that's just kind of how I envisioned it...

that will work I will draw names on sunday Feb 19 at noon.

I participated in the last one that was headed up by Scribe. Hopefully he will get in on this one as well. He also has the list of the Deadbeats from last time. I't would be good to exclude them in this one.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=5363561#post5363561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Scribe
I think the rules rmhuntley posted are pretty good. The one thing I don't like is the chain. I think it would run better if we did it like the last one. Everyone gets paired up with two people, everyone buys two thermoses. You pick a specific day to ship and two days later everyone has two frags.

I think this is better then the chain in the simple fact that one person can hold everyone up. Depending on how many people are involved it could take a month or so to get some frags. I like the quicker way myself.

If no one else chimes in to set this up, I could probably do it.

Sounds like a good idea....count me in on the deal although weather right now in Michigan is cold, and 2-3 day shipping to Michigan would spell doom. I know the norht east is getting hit hard right now too. So the time frame is important also. I am in depending on the time in and weather......

yeah this is great and alot of fun. certainly way to early for a swap. have you guys thought of breaking the states up in regions so every one gets a zoa frag out of their local area of the states? so two cali guys are not trading the same stuff. i know i want some florida blues that will actually live.

I think if your in a colder area you should use at least a 60hr heat pack, an insulated box and use Express mail instead of Priority Mail. I've never had a problem except when I used Priority. The main thing to remember is that the heat packs require O2 to work so make plans to supply it with a continuos supply of O2. I leave a pencil size hole in the box and place the heat pack over it. Here is a good article on shipping in cold weather. Article

Back