Biocube 14 surface film

Jblank44

From what I read this is a protein film that forms over the surface of the water. What can cause this and how do I eliminate this. The top of the tank is open.

e6yzyhej.jpg

I just moved my power head so that it is creating a lot if agitation on the surface. However it's right by the outlet to the rear chambers

sypaquba.jpg

Disovled organic compounds...DOCs. Aiming the powerhead at the surface will help but weekly water changes will reduce the DOCs, as will using a skimmer.

Disovled organic compounds...DOCs. Aiming the powerhead at the surface will help but weekly water changes will reduce the DOCs, as will using a skimmer.

I would like to get a skimmer but I can't get an efficient skimmer that works well for a 14 g BC.

The water is not skimming off the top of the tank, and is entering the filtration chamber beneath of surface the water. Suggest adding a modular surface skimmer - Marine Depot has it item number JB7333 for about $10. If you don't want to invest in a skimmer (we don't have one on our biocube) you could instead use a product by Brightwell called Organit. It is a very cost effective method of removing DOCs

I was having this problem so I clipped the tab between the first and second chamber to allow more flow through the back chamber. I had the same problem when I upgraded my return pump to a MJ1200. Good luck

I was having this problem so I clipped the tab between the first and second chamber to allow more flow through the back chamber. I had the same problem when I upgraded my return pump to a MJ1200. Good luck

I solved the problem.... When you adjust the flow rate or other small things with the sump it adjust the display level, so when It raises those slots from the DT to the sump aren't skimming the surface, so I clipped those all the way to the top. I've had the the larger opening from 1 to 2 for a while.

I solved the problem.... When you adjust the flow rate or other small things with the sump it adjust the display level, so when It raises those slots from the DT to the sump aren't skimming the surface, so I clipped those all the way to the top. I've had the the larger opening from 1 to 2 for a while.

This is exactly what solved it for me too. Glad you figured it out.

Back