BioCUBE 8 Initial Impressions/Observations

GobyJohnKenobi

I have been wanting to do a "Nano Cube" style reef for some time now. Pretty much since I saw a fully stocked one on display at a LFS.

I liked the size and the shape, and I was amazed by the tiny reefs that could be created and maintained in them. But on closer inspection I just couldn't get past the plastic "feel" of them. I started learning more about them and all of the mods that people were doing to improve them, and I wondered why should I spend all that money to purchase one and then spend even more money to modify it. Then the news broke about electrical and breakage problems, and that was enough to finally steer me clear of them.

But I still really liked the look and the concept. I still look at all the stocked Cubes on display for inspiration and ideas.

So now I'm six months into establishing a 15 High AGA, and Oceanic finally comes out with their version of the all-in-one Cube. I walked into one of my favorite LFS's- the one that carries all the Nice Oceanic tanks that I dream about- and he had two of the 8 gallon Biocubes on display.

On my first glance I thought, "This thing is cool- like Darth Vader Cool". :strooper:

On closer inspection, I really like the way it looks, the "feel" of it. I lift the top, and it has a much more solid feel to it. I'm impressed and that little spark of a Cube reef gets rekindled. Curious but cautious, I walk out. I call him the next day for information about pricing, and I'm told that both have them have sold already for the introductory price of $179.

A week goes by, and I'm still thinking about it. No other store that I visit has them or even much interest in carrying them. I walk back in on Thursday for another look at his latest shipment. He has one, only one, and it's still in the box. I always told myself that I would never buy a Cube unless I could see the condition of its original packaging, and the box was perfect. The spark finally ingnited, and my wallet got scorched.

I rationalized it like this:
The Nano Cube 6 goes for $139.

The Bio Cube 8 has a third more volume.
The BC 8 has 100% more light with the option of dusk to dawn with the dual circuits.
It has Dual Coralife blue LED moonlights. The ones that sell for about $16 each.
The lighting ballasts are external.
The cooling fan setup makes sense to me.
The BC 8 has a "solid" feel to me.
It reminded me of my dearly loved Saab 900 Turbo SPG... RIP.
It's like Darth Vader Cool, Man! :strooper:

I bought it for $179 after opening the box and inspecting it for any damages or defects. It's an Oceanic! My expectations are high!

I got home, unpacked the cube and set it on the endtable right beside the couch. I always wanted an "upclose" tank that I could enjoy in comfort. It looks Great there! I go to bed with visions of all those cool display cubes dancing in my head.

No. I don't have a life. That's why this post is so long.
Bear with me here...

Yesterday I came home from work and decided it was time for a closer inspection.

External Fit-and-Finish:

Very nice. Clean lines.
The plastic trim is nicely joined to the glass. The lid seals well to the top of the tank frame. Zero light bleed at the juncture.

The rocker switches for the lights are covered with rubber boots, and the left switch controls the front light and the fans.

The fan grills are nicely done with only a small amount of light visible on the sides and none to the front. The fan on the left is intake and the right fan is exhaust. Correspondingly, I can't feel any heat on the left side of the hood, and the right side feels slightly warm over the bulbs after running for a 24hr burn-in.
There is almost no noise from the fan motors- only a slight sound of moving air to let me know they are functioning besides the warm exhaust air.

The 3 cords for the lights are well placed and sealed with rubber grommets where they enter the hood. A nice touch. And there are large notches in the hood beside each of the sturdy hinges to allow for pump and heater power cords.

The back of the Cube appears to be a glass panel covered in an opaque film and surounded by a frame. Interesting...

Internal Fit-and-Finish:

I do like the black silicon sealer, but it's application was rather sloppy overall. To their credit, the two vertical seams at the back corners of the tank are perfect, and they are the only ones that would be visible with the other sloppy seams around the bottom of the tank hidden by a sandbed. I had to remove a number of large, loose flaps of sealant that were just hanging in the rear chambers of the tank. Some of them were blocking the flow vents or not allowing the filtration pieces to seat properly.

All of the plastic pieces have a sturdy, well cast look and feel and fit together well.

Wiring:

The power cords for the PC bulbs are MASSIVE in gauge. I would almost say overkill. Each cord has a disconnect that is equally massive and should seal extremely well against any moisture. A collar screws in place to secure the connection. Arrows on both connectors allow for ease of alignment.
Even the quick disconnect for the LEDs has a positive click when fully engaged.

The transformer for the LEDs is located inline with a standard 2-prong plug, so only one outlet is needed rather than the multiple wasted outlets when the plug and transformer are combined. Another nice touch.

After running for 24 hours, the lighting ballasts are barely warm to the touch. The ballasts each have two holes on opposing corners to allow for easy mounting to a surface.

My only complaint so far is that the outside edges of one of the PC connectors was smashed flat and completely out of round making the initial connection EXTREMELY difficult. The material is more of a hard rubber than a plastic, so I hope it will reshape itself after being connected for a while. The light still functions fine.

A MAJOR CONCERN: I tried plugging all of the components into a powerstrip that is plugged into a heavy duty, outdoor, contractor rated GFCI power cord. The pump and LEDs functioned just fine, but when I plugged in the PC lights and flipped either switch; it instantly tripped the GFCI and shut everything down. I can't explain why this is happening. My only workaround so far has been to plug anything in contact with the water into the GFCI and the lights into a non-GFCI strip.
Any suggestions, advice, insight or concerns are welcome on this. I would prefer a 100% GFCI power setup, of course.

Lighting:

The lighting fixture is very well enclosed into the hood by a clear cover that completely seals into a channel around the perimeter.
The reflector extends back over the filtration area. This makes me wonder if any extra lighting would be needed for growing macro algae in any of the rear chambers...

The PC bulbs are standard Coralife STRAIGHT 4-pins. I was hoping to convert to Current's SQUARE pin bulbs, but the mounts are rigid sockets rather than individual wire connectors.
I should have known.
So far I have not seen the 18W Actinic or 10K for sale anywhere, only the 18W 50/50. I am thinking of replacing the 10K with the 50/50 for a bluer look.

On a side note: The 10K bulb was placed on the circuit with the fans. I want the actinics to come on first and stay on last, and the fans to come on with the actinics. I also like the look of having the actinics in front of the daylights, so I swapped the bulb's positions.

Filtration:

If I wanted a killer wet-dry filtration system in a very small package, this is IT. Unfortunately, that isn't what I want.
However, I do like what they have done.... for the most-part.

I do not like the polyfiber/carbon/plastic frame filter cartridge that the first chamber is designed to hold. I also do not like that I am unable to remove the slotted tray that seperates the top and bottom intakes. I think it should be removable, but the silicon sealer was really splashed around back there and probably fused it into place. THe owner of the LFS did seem excited about the cartridge. I wonder....

I do like the drip tray at the top of the second chamber and plan to keep it for a little extra aeration and straining. The lower bioball tray is now the perfect place to put a pouch or two of Purigen- which fit perfectly!!! - and also act as a bubble trap. At the moment, I have no plans for any live rock or macro algae in the back compartments. But I do believe that it could be done, and maybe even with no extra lighting.

The final chamber houses a small sponge and a small pump. I removed the sponge. This is the area that I wish was a good bit larger, and I wish the first chamber was smaller. One of the Maxi-Jet series pumps will fit into the chamber with its intake strainer removed, but just barely. I didn't try it, because I figured the vibration and noise might be unbearable. Heat might also be an issue, because there is not much room for water to circulate around the body af the Maxi-Jet. I hope to be proven wrong on both counts.

The Max/Min window on the side of the Cube is only useful if the wet dry is used. Setting the level to Max with the bioballs removed and using the drip plate results in ALOT of splashy-drippy noises. I intend to fill it high enough to allow me to mount a Visitherm Stealth heater in the last chamber. That way its temp. senser will also take into account the added heat from the pump. I will probably mount the thermometer senser in the first compartment.

Circulation:

The pump that comes standard with it flows 106 GPH and looks almost identical in size and form to the Micro-Jet pump that flows 117 GPH.

My only modification/upgrade so far has been to replace the stock pump with the Micro-Jet. The stock pump became noisy after only a few hours of operation even though its suction cups were firmly mounted to the bottom, and its cord was a flimsy feeling two prong affair. The Micro-Jet uses a very stout three prong cord, has over heating/rundry protection, and so far has been silent.
Temp has dropped half of a degree with the new pump and the extra flow is an added bonus.

Oddly enough, the tank does run about 2 degrees cooler with the lights on and the fans running. This even though the fans only circulate air thru the sealed lighting assembly.

All things considered, I like the BioCUBE 8 very much. I actually think I did get my money's worth.

I'm pretty happy with these minimal mods so far:

1. Replacing the bioballs with 2 pouches of Purigen.
2. Replacing the stock pump with a Micro-Jet MC 450.
3. Swapping the bulbs so the fans come on with the actinics, and the actinics are in front.

I know this was a heck of a long read, but I wanted to give a bit more information about this new tank. I haven't been able to find out anything online about these tanks or even locate an online retailer that stocks them.

Thanks for reading. I hope this helps if you are considering the purchase of a BC 8.

I am glad that you like the cube. My lfs has set up three of them, 8 , 14 and 29. I must admit they look very attractive. What do you want to put in there, i mean fishes. Yeah, the cube is very compact and equiped with alot of stuffs. I would buy one if i dont' already have so many tanks.

CaptNemo: I'd really like to see how a good LFS would set one up. I'm definitely liking the tank so far.

I found some really nice, intricate Tonga branch for it.

I'm leaning towards only keeping polyps in it, star polyps, button polyps, clove polyps and zoanthids. I'll probably avoid mushrooms due to their size, and LPS that needs to be fed. I'm really looking to turn this into an "upclose" tank with smaller specimens.

I'm kicking around the idea of keeping a porcelain crab and/or a few sexy shrimp with or without a citron clown goby or green bar goby. Maybe a red or purple Firefish.

Or a Yellow Coral Banded Shrimp all by it's lonesome.

I'm researching a single mushoom anemonae. Hmmmm....maybe.

I'd prefer to keep the bioload as small as possible. The box suggests stocking small Gobies or Blennies, Chromis, Cardinal fish, captive bred Pseudochromis, captive bred Clowns, and Basslets. I just don't have any experience with fish yet, but I'd have to say "the smaller the better" for a tank of this size.

I'm kicking around the idea of doing a Bare Bottom, Blue Light tank. Something with minimum nutrient import/export. I'll have to research the mix. Until then, I've got rock to cook.

Thanks for your reply.

Great post!! I was interested in getting an 8 biocube for my apartment . After reading this thread, I think I'm sold to the idea.

Noschmo: Wow, back-atcha! ( Bonding Moment )

Drewfish: I'm glad that you found it helpful. I've had it up and running now for 48 hours straight, no leaks, just a slight hum and some sound of air movement, the ballasts and canopy are slightly warm, and the tank temp is 79.5 degrees in a 77 degree apartment. I'd say it's a keeper so far.

Cool! I just noticed that you have a 26 bow front. I just got a 36 AGA bow front a couple of weeks ago. I'm looking at having the 36 and the BC-8 as my reef tanks. My first attempts as well ( if you don't count my 15 High and 5 Hex ).
So far, so good and I hope you can say the same.

Post a thread of your own about your impressions, mods, and plans. I'd really like to know what you think and everyone's experiences with this tank.

It's time to start establishing a knowledge base about these tanks. If we don't do it, nobody else will.

I have the 14, I love it so far, such a nice looking tank and everything is well made in it too! I just bought the stand and I will be moving the tank onto the stand tomorrow.

Mdisalvo55 and Gotboostedvr6:

Glad to hear it! I'd like to know what both of you think of those tanks. Looking forward to seeing what everyone does with these.

Spread the word.

I've just picked up an 8g biocube also.
Planning on using floss in the first chamber, probably utilizing the plastic filter that comes with the tank to hold it in place as I think I can fit a heater behind it in that section.
Live rock/rubble and maybe convert to a fuge somehow in the middle.
I hate bare-bottom tanks though, so I'll be putting in some sand, maybe just a little black sand. I haven't decided on other inhabitants yet.

I like the tank though, lights, moonlights, surface skimmer etc. I've got a 5 and a 10 regular setup and all the hang-on filters just look untidy.
It's my holiday weekend project this weekend! For $120 I think it's well worth the money.

Mdbrit: $120!!! Nobody in Atlanta has these for less than $175. I need to move.

Are you running it on a GFCI? If so, are you experiencing the same problem as me with the lights tripping the GFCI?

Yeah, I decided against the barebottom- just enough sand to cover the sealant.

For some reason, my LFS had them on sale. Usually they're more expensive than everyone else. The 14g was $160 I believe. They had a big pile of 8s 14s and 29s. Strange to be on sale when it's a new item!
I actually came back and there was only one 8g left, so I couldn't resist.

I'd be really interested to see what others are doing with this biocubes. I plan to set mine up this weekend, but I'm still unsure exactly what I'll stock it with and how I'll configure the filter chambers.

My main tanks I run with fuges and I have had a lot of success keeping algae down in the main tank using this method. It just makes sense. In my 5g tank, I have a big ball of the stuff just floating around and even with strong light theres almost no other algae around. (It's not a 'show' tank, it houses a stripped thug of a damsel fish who likes his own company and doesn't share well with others).

Anyway, I'm pretty sure the back wall covering can be scraped off allowing an external light to be used to create a fuge area. I'm loathed to do it, but even if it goes horribly wrong, no-one sees the back anyhow I suppose. I plan to take the 8g to the office eventually.

My new BC8

My new BC8

Got my BioCUBE 8 in the mail last week.
Ordered off ebay from seller "coralsplus"- $158 shipped, packaging was excellent and arrived in UNDER 2 days!

Just waiting for some equipment to arrive next week before I start filling this little bad boy up.

GobyJohn: Your initial impressions were spot-on. I agree with everything you said. Overall, I am quite impressed with this tank. Fit and finish is very good, all of the electrical work seems solid, and the design is well thought-out. The only thing that concerned me was that the male connector for the LED moon lights seemed to have some kind of corrosion all over it- I simply scraped it off and wiped it clean and it works fine, but it was definitely strange.

FYI, my PC bulbs are NOT tripping my GFCI.

Just so everyone is on the same page, I took a picture from the manual and drew up a little diagram explaining how the back chambers are laid out and how the water flow works:
biocube_filter.jpg

...and here's what I plan to do with them :D
chamber_layout.jpg

MODS:
1) Bio-balls and Filter Cartridge...GONE!
2) Expanded flow from chamber 1 to 2 [DONE]
3) Switch actinic / 10,000K bulb locations [DONE]
4) Make fuge light and fuge window in 2nd chamber [DONE] (more pics and info to come)
6) Replace stock pump with Mini-Jet 606
7) Put on a Hydor-Flo
8) Install ATO
9) Install Auto Water Changer (hehe... more on that later!)

I've been planning this tank for months- I can't wait to get it wet!

Looks very cool. I got diverted to another project this weekend (a new 75g cichlid tank) and still haven't managed to make a start on my cube.

I don't think I'll be doing any top-off systems, but I am planning to do the central chamber fuge. How did you go about increasing your flow rate to the center channel?
Do you think changing the pump will make a huge difference? I was thinking about adding a mini internal filter/powerhead to help increase circulation.

chill: great idea. I love the diagram. Keep us posted on the auto water changer sounds very interesting.

Refugium on the BC8!!

Refugium on the BC8!!

drewfish : Thanks! I'm pretty excited about the auto water changer as well, and I promise more details and pictures will be coming soon.

I've been documenting the progress of this tank in a little more detail over on the nano-reef.com forums. You can read my thread here:

NEW BioCUBE 8 Setup - PICS, MODS, BEER!

For now I'll try to keep posting updates here as well...

THE FUGE...

I plan to run my fuge on an alternate daylight cycle with the tank. Since the tank is in my room, I didn't want any light leakage. I also didn't want to spend a lot.

The light I bought is made by FEIT Electric. It's marketed as an under-cabinet fixture. It's extremely small and has a 9w "soft white" power compact bulb. I got it for under $11 at Lowes.
fugelight.jpg

I was looking around for things to mount the light in, and came across (AKA found in the trash) one of those black plastic containers that come with crappy microwaveable mac-n-cheese- it was the perfect size! After washing it out, I lined it with aluminum-foil and mounted the light inside with a zip-tie. I then lined the edges with velcro, cut vent holes in the top, and put on a nice trim of red velvet fabric I had lying around (classy, right?). The fabric extends slightly beyond the edge of the velcro, so as to block off any gaps where light could escape:

IMG_9758.jpg

The back glass of the tank is covered with some kind of paint. I measured and marked the edges of where I wanted my window, crossed my fingers, and then went crazy with a razor blade... :eek:

...tada!
It worked out pretty well:
IMG_9752.jpg

(the white strips on top and bottom are the mounting velcro)

Here's the fuge light mounted. IT STICKS OUT LESS THAN 1.5" FROM THE BACK OF THE TANK!
IMG_9748.jpg

...and the view from inside:
IMG_9751.jpg

These pictures do not do justice to how BRIGHT this thing is. Put it this way: I can't look straight at it without seeing huge purple spots for the next 5 minutes.

There is absolutely NO LIGHT LEAKAGE coming from the back of the tank. Although right now a tiny bit of light is creeping over the chamber into the main display, once the chaeto, drip tray, and filter floss is installed I doubt it will be an issue.

The light does give off some heat, but not a ridiculous amount. Because of the way the light is mounted inside of the container with the zip-tie, it (intentionally) sits slightly back from the glass. I'll give a temperature report once I get water in the tank (hopefully tomorrow).

question....does the chaeto need to be fully submerged? i set my 14g biocube up like this and the water just drops on top of the chaeto which is lying on top of the live rock...

thx

Back