Bleaching coral?

ekoroknay

When corals bleach out do they just lose color or do they literal start to turn bleach white? I have come caps and a superman monti that are starting to "recede" and turn bleach white.

Following along...I have the same thing happening to my caps, a monti & pocillopra. Was told it's caused by using too much biopellets & nutrients lowering too quickly, so I started dosing with amino acid.

Following along...I have the same thing happening to my caps, a monti & pocillopra. Was told it's caused by using too much biopellets & nutrients lowering too quickly, so I started dosing with amino acid.

+1

is your tank recuperating? same thing happened to me and im dosing some bacteria stuff (prob the same amino acid that you're using) as well as Potasium concentrate. im only in week 2 or so.

what pellets are you guys using im on 2 months of eco back havent noticed to much but i also have a nutrient rich tank

I had color loss in SPS and rics in the same system. Was running biopellets for about 6-8 months and began to see too many people with the same complaints. Took the bp's out about a month ago and replaced with GFO to keep phos down and am starting to see some color return. Now, to be fair - I had some alk fluctuations a few months back and that may have been a contributing factor. I do not supplement direct feeding or aminos but I have a large fuge on the system that contributes a lot of plankton.

+1

is your tank recuperating? same thing happened to me and im dosing some bacteria stuff (prob the same amino acid that you're using) as well as Potasium concentrate. im only in week 2 or so.

I've only been dosing amino's for a little more than a week, so can't really say yet. Hopefully this thread will continue so we can keep posting our results.

When corals bleach out do they just lose color or do they literal start to turn bleach white? I have come caps and a superman monti that are starting to "recede" and turn bleach white.

Bleaching is when the coral first looses its algae and usually a green coral will become lime, red becomes pinkish, blues become ?, well very very light blue. This is usually due to prolonged temp over 80. The tissue is still there but the algae is not. If corrected the coral will usually get better. While RTN is when the coral is infected, usually with a bacterial infection, and the tissue is rotting and peeling of the skeleton. Then the white skeleton is exposed. If the receding is slow, you can, and must, break off healthy sections, dip in Lugals and hope they dont get infected. And MUST remove the unhealthy parts.
When it comes to Montis and Acros rnting you first must check your basics. Temp under 80, Salt around 1.024, KH 9-11 degress, calcium 400-480 ppm and Magnesium in the upper 1200's.

Back