Blinding Light and Rimless Tanks

Chicago Kopka

My tank is in the living room right up next to the couch. I did this on purpose so I could relax and look at the tank. When sitting right next to the tank all is good but anywhere else and the light can be pretty intense. To me it's not a big deal but I have a 6 month old baby and it can't be good for her eyes. Any suggestions?

Tank is a 60 gallon rimless cube with radion XR15 on the rms mount.

I just looked into making one at HD and the cost depends one size of tank but whole thing for me was less then $50 with matching wood stain.

Mine has halides and ballasts in it so that is why it is so tall. The bulbs are a bit recessed in the canopy to block light spread

I built one and never used it. It only took a few hours and $50 worry of finish grade white pine. Picked the white pine because of weight.

I built one and never used it. It only took a few hours and $50 worry of finish grade white pine. Picked the white pine because of weight.

I actually would need a white one. Did you make it so it hangs from ceiling or is it mounted to fixture?

I have a similar set up as you (rimless cube AI Prime led, no canopy) and a 8 month old baby. I also have my tank set up in the living room so that I can enjoy it. I have never noticed any issues with it in regards to my baby. He only stares at the tank its self and not the light. I assume that he wouldn't stare at it if it bothered his eyes but maybe I'm mistaken. Have you noticed your baby being bothered by your lighting or starring at it?

From the looks of the construction paper mock up it looks like it's pretty small. I suggest picking up some thin black, white or what ever color scrap acrylic from one of the many plastic distributors we have in the area and making it out of acrylic. It would be light weight so you can mount it to your current arm and there's no need for any finish work. There's lots of guys on here with acrylic experience that I'm sure would help, myself included.

Yeah, although it's temp it's very functional for now.
I have some 1mm carbon fiber sheet on order to replace the construction paper one.
I actually made the light arm myself. Easy stuff to work with and I love the solvent that fuses it together.
Thanks for the help though :).

Back