Blue Hippo Tang losing too much weight!!

martinresi

My Blue Hippo Tang has been losing too much weight in the past 6 months. I've had him for 6 years and he's always been a happy fish, even now he still is. Luckily he still comes out during feeding and when I put my face to the tank but he's resting in the rocks more and more every day. His ribs are showing and he's looking way too skinny. No signs really of Ick or any other disease. I've looked at other forums and I didn't see any suggestions that I'm not already doing but figured I'd post here just in case. 4 months ago I upped the feeding to twice a day. He eats but he's not as aggressive as he used to be. He seems to be getting worse at identifying and eating food, but he still gobbles up a good amount. I give Nori once a day on a clip. My Sailfin Tang gets most of it, but he still tries and gets some. I soak food/ nori in Selcon every two or three days. I alternate frozen Brine / Mysis shrimp for main food.

Photo

Photo

photo

Attachments

• Sapphire.jpg
    Sapphire.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 3
mine did the same before he passed. it was a very slow process. about a year before he passed I noticed he couldn't see well. he eventually came out less and less for food

That fish is on the verge of death, I don't know what's wrong with it but unless you can separate it out for extra food and treatment it's a goner already.

You need to catch that thing and quarantine. Feed it by itself and also maybe do some general medication. If you feel like it's worth it. If he's just naturally going then maybe nothing you can do.

I would put him in QT and immediately start giving him a medication for internal parasites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unfortunately our understanding of fish diseases and ability to treat them is still pretty much in the dark ages. You might try treating for intestinal parasites but keep in mind fish can also have internal parasites and there's no treatment for those

She passed the next day, I got to say goodbye. He was the tank for me, we had him for 6 years and was our first setup. Thanks for your amazing suggestions!!! I was too late and maybe there's nothing I could've done. Her name was Sapphire

https://vimeo.com/225530145

Sorry about your fish loss. We have all been there. I know that doesn't make you "less sad". Non reefers wouldn't understand so dont even "try to make them". Glad you enjoyed him in your tank and provided him a good life for many years.

Thanks so much for your kind words jdemarco. Yes, this is our first major loss which I suppose is not bad for 6 years, but the entire tank has changed in a depressing way and has become hard for me to appreciate. Like grief in general i'm sure it will pass with time but I didn't expect it to affect me this much. I trained her to eat Nori out of my hand and the night before she died she leaned against my hand until the light timer went off. All the other fish are fine but she was the life blood of the tank

Back