Blue Xenia Questions

Siapin

What is blue xenia (scientific name)?
Is it related to pulsing xenia?
How much is a stalk worth?
Where can you buy it?
How fast does it grow? Does it grow like other xenias?
Pics would be cool.

I've seen xenia with a "tinge" of blue or green and even bought some in the past that they called blue. I just got xenia with a hint of blue and not what I'd call real blue. I quit looking since I'm not sure it's out there.

SteveU

The name of the true blue xenias are : cespitularia
It is non-pulsing xeniid species.
The cost of a stock can get quite pricey. I've seen 1 stalk for $180.
Very rare, I believe there are a few reefers on here propigating them.
From what I hear it does not grow as fast as the rest of the xeniids.
As for pics, you can type in cespitularia in the search and to see some pics, I posted some but I currently cannot locate the images on my computer.

They are not as blue as you'd think. I believe its named this way because the sclarites (the calcerous bits inside it that give it some form) are blue. The fleshy parts, to my knowledge, are not blue.

you should ask rbaby...she has a stalk or maybe two already...she has a thread with a pic of before and after its growth...with info on her experience with the growth rate...her blue xenia looks like a blue green color

I managed to get a stalk of the blue cespitularia. It's a electric blue color xeniid. Doesn't pulse at all. I'm just starting to get 3 stalks with 2 of them still being fairly small and just starting to grow polyps.

I think I have some, but it doesn't grow from stalks like other xenia species do. The colony has separate stems across the rock, more like the anthelia species. Anyone have any input?

That would be the Blue Anthelia. Here's my blue cespitularia.
cespitularia.jpg

Last edited:
XeniaMania, did you get that Atlantis Aquariums? I was gonna get one from the coral farmers market but they sold the one they had.

They had 2 of them, 1 with 2 stalks and another with 1. I pre-ordered it from them, so the single stalk was mine. I wonder who got the 2 stalked one.

Back