Help with understanding conductivity

HiImNew

Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie to this Marine tank thing. I acquired this tank after the previous caretaker left it. So be kind if this is a dumb question lol.

I am confused by the reading on my Fluval canister filter compared to my Hydrometer.

My conductivity meter on my Fluval is reading 60 (high) however my Hydrometer is reading 1.28 spacific gravity/38 salinity PPT.
I was always told to keep it between 1.28 and 1.29 SG with the hydrometer so I don't understand why the conductivity is so far off and worried it can hurt the 1 clown and pulsing xenia that are in the tank.

I tried the Google machine to answer this question but the answers only confused me more.

Also, I have a red algae bloom that I can't seem to get rid of. Any help for that would be amazing as well.

I appreciate any help you can provide. TIA!

Welcome to RC!

I honestly didn’t know this was a Fluval offering so I had to research it some and found this:

It appears their conductivity can be off by plus or minus 8%

Then using their own calculations a conductivity reading of 53 is equal to 1.028. So you’re within their margin of error.

With that said, I’d tend to believe the hydrometer over a conductivity reading.

Here’s what I used for reference:

Whew! I really appreciate the reasearch you found, I was having no luck!
Happy to know my tank is safe lol. My clown seems happy and the xenia look fine so I was hoping the fluval was off.
But was a little panicked after my water change and some not great reasearch findings ngl. Lol

I agree, believe the hydrometer over the electronics😉.

I use a refractometer for my salinity, but double check it with a good ol hydrometer.

Just out of curiosity, are you shooting for 1.028 - 1.029? IMO that’s a bit high. I keep mine 1.025 - 1.026.

Here’s a link to water parameters that may be helpful to you.

I figured the same with the hydrometer but I did just recently lose my poor Tang and I have read they are more sensitive to salinity etc. So it upped my Anxiety on the situation even more. Especially since I wasn't sure what happened with the poor guy.

Just out of curiosity, are you shooting for 1.028 - 1.029? IMO that’s a bit high. I keep mine 1.025 - 1.026.

Here’s a link to water parameters that may be helpful to you.
Oh wow thank you! I guess I was just going by what the previous owner told me. 🙃 I will make sure I drop it down some going forward!

Back