Bluer Vs. Whiter spectrum light for Zoa growth?

XxMutedYouthxX

hey guys getting ready to turn a lil 20 gallon tank into a zoa prop tank and have heard varying opinions on what is best for zoanthid growth... I have always thought that the whiter the spectrum the better growth and pigment you are going to get from all of your corals but just making sure. Also, how many watts of light do you all think I should put on the tank for maximum growth...

I think the whiter/yellow'er the light the better growth but not as good colors. The bluer the better colors but slower growth. Im not sure though.

the whiter light as far as i know should actually give the corals better actual color because they create more pigments to block the uv but it just doesnt show as well as under blue lights...

ive never really tried to actually grow my zoas till now. After reading a few threads on how blue light actually helps growth ive been running my actnics about 4 hrs and then turn the white spectrum for about another 4 hrs. My two polyp frag i snagged at the LFS which is sweet already has 3 new polyps and a fourth on the way in about 1.5 weeks.

Back