Borax as Ph calibration solution

wsurf4me

Does anyone have the link to the article describing the use of Borax as a Ph calibration solution. I'm looking for the quantity of water to borax to mix up, I think it makes a 9.2 solution. I had the page bookmarked but has since been moved. Thanks

Hmm, I can't find it, either. I thought it was one tsp per quart of water, but I'm not sure. I wouldn't use borax to make a calibration solution, though, just as a way of sanity testing.

The basic punchline was to dissolve 3.8g of borax into a liter of water to achieve what I believe was a pH standard of 9.19.

A 1/2 level teaspoon of borax in a pint gets you close enough for what we do. Make sure you stir well and that it is close to the same temperature as your reef.

Paul

Ha I just found this by accident. I make borax for a living and have been needing a Calibration solution. I am at work right now and literally have a belt running by my control room that makes 400 tons of borax a day. 20 Mule team is From where I live ..... Where I am from there is enough Borax in the lake we mine from (manmade lake) to keep my plant running for close to 1,000 years. Thanx for the Info on the calibration .....

I got about 1,000 ton pile of it....along with a million other chemicals and minerals, Boric Acid, Soda Ash, Potash, blah blah...lol

Back