bowfront center brace cracking

Jane

72 gal bowfront reef- All Glass set up about 8+ years. The center brace just started splitting at the T front about a month ago. My first reaction was to fill it with silicone but that is not stoping it.

There is no weight on it. I have no hood - my halides are suspended from the ceiling. AquaC Protein skimmer on back left side of the tank, a 3 gallon hang on refugium sets on right back side and a phosban reactor off to the side. I have a 48" actinic strip light that sets over the top front but it is not over where it is cracking.

Should I panic? (too late I already am) Has anyone got a fix to stop it from cracking more?

I would drain it down as far as possible. Cut off the brace about 2 inches from the front and 2 inches from the back. Replace it with a piece of acrylic (it will be clear and rid you of that shadow in your water).....

Drill holes through plastic and acrylic so they align. I used pan head bolts and nuts to hold it in place. This is bes done with tank empty but I have done it half full while applying support to both front and back....

Bowfronts are bad for spliting the seems on the front. Without the center braceI would drain it as soon as possible.

Thanks Shane but the split is right at where the T joins. If I cut the brace 2" in the split would still be there. If you are looking down at the tank from the top the split is just in front of the center brace on the beginning of the curve (<---]

Hey Mike - I just emailed the company to see if that is possible to order a new top rim. I want to do something to prevent the worst.

For another option I was wondering how difficult it would be to bend acrylic to right angles. If I have one strip going across the top with say a 2" right angle bend over the front and the back. Anyone know if this is possible?

When I had my 46 bow front, I cut off the center brace. It was fine for years although the tank did bow more than it was supposed to! :eek1:

I wouldn't do that again though.

Yes you can bend the acrylic....find the edge of a table that is 90 degrees.....preferably a work bench. Get a torch (if u dont have one you can get one at home depot...the cheap can and nozzle types are about 10 dollars) Have someone bend it over the 90 degree table/bench while the other person holds the torch. Try and hold the torch far enough away son the flame isnt touching and work your way closer and closer until it starts to bend.

Thanks - I haven't heard from the company about purchasing a new top rim yet. I will definately give this added acrylic strip a try to at least prevent further bowing/brace cracking for added support..

Any advice on thickness of the acrylic for best support?

i bought a used tank years ago 55 bow there was no center brace ive had it going without a brace for 3 years i plan on draining it soon and useing acyrlic in the center. when I bought it I didnt know much about tanks and thought it would be ok. the people that sold it to me cut it out and had it running for 2 years. I never thought anything about it until I joined RC and learned otherwise.

Hey Circusink - I understand the larger the water volume the more important the center brace is. It may be ok for a regular straight glass tank but with a bowfront there is more water pressure on the front of the tank. I have mine in the dining room, hardwood floors and a finished basement below. I've seen pics on the RC of what things look like with blow outs. I'm just not wantin to go there - let alone loosing my 8 years of hard work on the reef tank and everything in it! I'm just stumpted why this has happened all of a sudden.

My 72 gallon bowfronts doing the same thing.. I tried contacting the company as well, they said I have to go to a local retailer, I tried one, but they were no help.. Not sure what Im going to do, I want to upgrade it any way, I have that tank and a 90 gallon and want to do one 125-150. I cant brace mine at all, as the crack actually started on the trim. Im just hoping it does not bust!

Back