Bracing on 55g

djcool563

Ok as most of you know there is a black bracing on 55g tank right in the middle. Well when i have my lights on this causes there to be a darker strip down in the center of the tank. Now i was wondering if i could cut off the black bracing and replace it with a plexiglass one? and if so would this be safe to do why the tank is filled?

I kind of have a similar situation to this--- I bought a used 135 gallon tank--- the previous owner cut out his cross braces (both of them) on the rim--- because they blocked his metal halide bulbs---he ran ok for years like this....

I bought the tank from him and built a custom stand for it (taller with bigger doors for my skimmer and sump)--- I put the tank on top of this to do a weight test and filled my tank up with water out in my garage only to find that the 1/2" glass of the tank bowed out a fair amoun--- the middle of the tank was 1/2" wider then the ends when full--- I didn't think it was a good idea to leave it like this-- I built a rim to sit on top of my old rim out of stainless steel (painted) with a couple of cross braces--- I don't like how this looks and was able to find a new rim that will fit my tank (I just need to drain my tank down to install it).

Here is how I would do it (if you are going to do this)---not that I'm recommending you do this...

Drain the tank down at least 1/2 way... cut the braces but leave about an inch or so on the front and back.... drill holes through these big enough for at least one bolt--- drill matching holes on your piece of plexiglass/acrylic go thicker if you can-- and bolt the plexi to the whats left of your cross braces---

IMO this will still be pretty strong--

Unless you can find a way to strongly attach the plexiglass/acrylic to your rim somehow--- I don't know if weldon will bond/weld a plastic rim to your plexiglass then I'd consider doing it how I described above....good luck with whatever you decide to do...

Back