Brain Coral Color Question

Bluemon

20230615_175032.jpg

I've had this brain for close to 4~5 years now. Probably my favorite coral in my tank, always thriving through swings and power failures. But I've had some questions about it's color and other things.

I'd say it's grown almost two times in size and has many more mouths now.

First of all, is this a lobo? It's been such a long time since I bought it, not sure what exactly it was.

Secondly, does the color look a bit bleached? It's always been this color (maybe slightly darker at the lfs but it was under just actinic so not sure), and it has always done very well (I've had it fluctuate in color during bad water quality seasons where it looked a bit paler, but never "more saturated" than this) so wondering if I should move it to a shadier area.

Also I recently got a new pair of clowns to replace the old ones that died, and they decided to host the brain instead of the rbta. I think the brain was stressed for a couple of days but now it inflates like crazy. Shouldn't be an issue, right?

Thanks for your inputs, just really wanted to see if I can get the colors to be a little less "washed out"

First awesome tank!

With regards to the brain, it does look a little bleached to me but I’m not seeing anything that would cause deep concern unless you want those deeper colors (I’m just not sure how to get them).

As for the type, it looks like a trachyphyllia. I can’t really answer the clown question either but hopefully some other guys may be able to help out with that

First awesome tank!

With regards to the brain, it does look a little bleached to me but I’m not seeing anything that would cause deep concern unless you want those deeper colors (I’m just not sure how to get them).

As for the type, it looks like a trachyphyllia. I can’t really answer the clown question either but hopefully some other guys may be able to help out with that
Completely agree with everything Shane said above.

Clowns are weird. What type (species) did you have and what did you replace them with?

What lighting are you using? Is that your normal setting, or whites up for the photo?

As for the clowns, they are onyx perculas.

As for the lighting, I use a mix of t5s and kessil leds. It looks white in this photo because I used a orange cellophane to filter my phone camera lens so the picture looks more like what the human eye would see.

I guess it would not hurt to move it to a more shaded area (or decrease light intensity).

I don't know if I can find a good shaded area that isn't already crowded though, so I might have to tone down the light intensity for a bit and see if that does the trick.

Thanks everyone!

Back