Brain Coral

Some, like Lobophylia, have heads that get bigger, then develop new mouths.

What kind of brain? Picture?

You have to be careful with open brains like lobos, welsos, and such. They do not split like a frogspawn or trumpet, they grow more mouths but often remain attached. Something that affects one portion of it could easily damage the rest. I'm not sure if you can frag them like you can a favia, but if might be worth looking into if it would be a gonner otherwise. lfs might have a saw or something to cut it cleanly.

Based off your description I don't think you are talking about the maze brains or favias, but if you are then yes they do grow more mouths but no they do not split into entirely new heads either. You can cut those along the ridges, avoiding mouths as much as possible since those are likely to die if cut. Fragging is good if you are assuming the coral will die or if you want insurance/a second smaller coral.

this happened in the span of 24 hours and i have removed to a quarantine tank

PB090001.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's a welso or a trachyphyllia. Looks like it got stung by something. Don't stress it and it could recover. That happened to mine once and it is fine now. Yours has only 1 mouth so you can not split it. You just have to hope it recovers. Maybe an iodine dip would help. You might want to check for things that might be trying to eat it. Fish or crabs could have nibbled at it and stressed it out. Figure out what caused the damage and prevent it from happening again.

Looks like a sting , I would dip it in some revive and then put it back in the tank . Maybe move it or whatever is next to it .

Thats a shame too - those look like some nice colors. I had a polyp from a zoa fall on a aussie wellso and destroy it before I could remove it. Unbelievable sometimes.

there's still hope mine decided to go crawling into my wall hammer one night lights came and trachy was none pleased. try feeding it to help speed its recovery

Back